Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fed 1 CLA Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Fed 1 CLA « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Likaleica
Tinkerer
Username: Likaleica

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2012 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would greatly appreciate advice please on how to go about performing a CLA on my 1938 Fed 1.

The main issues are that the film wind-on is very stiff; and sometimes when the shutter release is fully depressed the shutter does not fire until I release pressure on the shutter button (especially at 1/200 and 1/500.)
I have never repaired a camera before but have restored classic cars so I'm fairly mechanically minded. Do I need any special tools and whatb cleaning fluid/fresh lubricant will I need to use ?
All advice gratefully received.....

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 80

Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! Fed 1 is a fairly simple machine to do a CLA job on. I have posted some detailed pictures of a CLA on Zorki C. Fed 1 Zorki 1, c,2c,2 are similar. The link is given below. Please take a look and ask questions if you have doubts.
https://picasaweb.google.com/subbarayan.prasanna/ZorkiCCLA?authuser=0&feat=direc tlink

Prasanna
Tinkerer

Post Number: 81

Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Between Zorki C and Fed 1 only the top is different. Also, Fed 1 does not have a flash connection. so it is simpler. You may NOT want to remove the top, unless you need to clean the RF. The flat springs behind the pressure plate in Fed 1 are vertical, while they are horizontal in the Zorkis. Otherwise they are identical. Best, sp.

Prasanna
Tinkerer

Post Number: 82

Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You won't need any special tools other than a set of mini screw drivers, some tooth-picks, Q-tips and alcohol or petrol [Gas] for cleaning and watch oil to lubricate. Also keep some clean lint-free cloth to wipe the camera/parts now and then. SP.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration