Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Exakta VX Film Speed Indicator. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Exakta VX Film Speed Indicator. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chaffinch
Tinkerer
Username: Chaffinch

Post Number: 19

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've recently laid hands on my first Exakta, a VX in nice condition. Everthing seems to work well, including the film transport control disc, the slow speeds and the delayed time release. However, I'm unable to set the film speed indicator ring, beneath the slow speed winder; it seems to have a spring pressure which returns it to the position it came in. It's not that I want to use it, but one of the little lugs on the perimeter of the ring obscures the window of the film transport disc, which is kind of useful. Is there a trick to rotating this ring?

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 315

Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 02:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Manual here says that it turns counter clockwise only. Not sure if that is any help.
http://www.cameramanuals.org/pdf_files/exakta_vx_3.pdf

Best
Martin

Chaffinch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Martin, but there's definitely some spring pressure on the ring; I can move it a few degrees counter clockwise and it will sit there, but flicks back to the original position when the slow speed winder is activated.

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 83

Posted on Friday, December 14, 2012 - 03:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! a friend of mine reported a similar problem with his VX. I checked my VX. I found that the film speed indicating ring rotates freely in my sample. It is not spring-loaded; there seems to be no reason for it to be spring-loaded. Perhaps there is a spring washer or spacer inside the slow speed dial that is not set correctly. You may want to try opening that and look inside to see if any thing is interfering with the film indicator ring. Hope this helps.

Chaffinch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Friday, December 14, 2012 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Prasanna. Liberal applications of Zippo seem to have dissolved what must have been hardened grease locking the ring onto the shaft, and it can now be turned. There must have been enough play in the shaft to produce the "spring" effect.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration