Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1 Shuter fires but no light in Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon A-1 Shuter fires but no light in « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mkarlovc
Tinkerer
Username: Mkarlovc

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 14, 2012 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Canon A-1 Shuter fires, but it fires always in the same speed no matter what led indicators show.

The film frame changes, the click is done and sounds normal. But it is alway equally fast (even if i set to e.g 8, or 15 sec) and when I checked the film, I saw no light came in.

This happened in the middle of one film - half of film was ok, but the other half was completely clear and transparent with no traces of anything at all.

I tried taking out the battery and putting in after some time and it doesn't help.

This happened after I was shooting with the Speedlight 199a flash, but I dont know if it has anything to do with it, since some photos with flash were completely OK, but then later my dear camera got this error. Please help

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 408

Posted on Friday, December 14, 2012 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it is anything like the AE-1, it could be the magnet that holds back the second curtain. This would explain the constant shutter speed and the unexposed film. I had the same problem on an AE-1. Do a search in the archives to find a solution to cleaning the magnet. I would tell you, but I can't remember!

Mkarlovc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 06:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Waynemel. I opened the bottom of my camera. I don't know if the magnets are alright or not. So before I do anything wrong I would like to show it to you.

This are the magnets when the shutter is charged:
http://s16.postimage.org/dd78fxnet/DSC_1065.jpg
and here when the shutter is released:
http://s16.postimage.org/dd78fxnet/DSC_1066.jpg
View from another angle:
http://s17.postimage.org/52ftg958v/2012_12_15_13_38_56.jpg

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 409

Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The two images are exactly the same!
As far as I know, if you remove the plastic cover on the magnets you can try cleaning the contacting surfaces with a little alcohol. Be careful not to break any of the fine wires.
If that still doesn't work, you may have a more serious problem with the magnets. In the case of my AE-1, the magnet was not getting any power at all.

Mkarlovc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I solved it! So the issue was with the different magnet - MG3 that is not covered with plastic. I scratched a bit the surface of two parts which are connected when the shutter is loaded (as show with the image) and on my screwdriver i could see really little amount of some black greasy material. After that the camera works as it should.

http://s15.postimage.org/6v7p7cftn/2012_12_15_14_44_16.jpg
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Waynemel!

p.s. sorry for posting same picture twice above

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration