Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fed Micron 2, blades not opening Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Fed Micron 2, blades not opening « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zanxion72
Tinkerer
Username: Zanxion72

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,
I have a Fed Micron 2 that used to work until yesterday that stupid me had decided to blow some silicon lubricant oil against the shutter blades.
I did this from the side of the film chamber, and now it clicks, but the blades stay close. Is there a way to fix this? Have I blow away something that moves the blades, or are they simply stuck?

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 61

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Nikos,
Well, what has done the damage is simply that oil you have squirted into the shutter. The blades are supposed to be dry. Any oil at all on the blades sticks the finely polished blades together just like glue.
You will need to clean all the oil out now. You might have some success swabbing the blades repeatedly with cotton buds (Q-tips) soaked in a suitable solvent. Naptha, the fuel used for cigarette lighters is commonly used for this purpose.Regards, Chris

Zanxion72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will go out to find some Naptha and clean the mess. Should I let any drops of it on the blades, or I should only use the cotton buds to clean them up?
Thank you very much Chris.

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 62

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 01:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Nikos,
Don't drip the naptha onto the blades, just wet the cotton buds and use them to swab the blades. Hopefully the cotton buds will absorb the oil and leave the blades clean and oil-free.

Once the shutter does finally work again, repeat the treatment to remove any remaining oil.

Regards, Chris

Zanxion72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,
I have tried, but without any luck. I had set the shutter to B and pushed the blades open with a small flat screwdriver, and I could see them sticking unable to close back. After trying a bit more with Naptha, if I open the blades with the screwdriver now they seem to fall back easier. But they cannot open yet. It seems that I had the an overspray of oil all over it.
Will keep on trying though. I might get to removing most of it.

Many thanks,
Nikos.

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 71

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Nikos, if you slip with that "small flat screwdriver" your current problem will perhaps turn out to be the minor one of the two you are facing then, as a scratched lens or blade surface is something heavier than sticky blades.
Put that silicon oil as far from any camera old or new as you can, maybe it is useful in the garage or helps you to repair the lawn mower.
Never repeat NEVER use it in, on or even just near photo equipment. It "travels", so after a while it will creep over the whole gadget if you spray it on one edge. Removing that smear is a pain-in-the-ass experience.

Use a wooden toothpick to fiddle with the blades and try to develop a little more perserverance. Cleaning oily blades has to be repeated seveal times, cleaning them from what you sprayed on them can mean several times by ten!

Zanxion72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2012 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stupid me! Still, after hours of cleaning, no luck. Now I will have to buy another one!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1264

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2012 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter can still be fixed by cleaning, but I'm afraid it will require disassembly. Unfortunately I do not have notes to help with the Micron, though maybe someone else here has experience with it.

Zanxion72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2012 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have tried disassembling things from the front of the lens downwards, but I had come to a solid metal block that cannot be removed. I have searched for guides on the Micron, but have found nothing so far.

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 72

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AFAIK (from fading memory, there is no Micron 2 in my possession right now) it is very similar to the Konica 35, but that Soviet remake clone camera has a more complicated light-meter which you better do not touch. Cleaning the blades from one side only is perhaps not enough, if you go in from the front readjustment of the front lens group is another time consuming procedure. Also if the blades are still wet they won't move as they are supposed to.
In the past I owned two of those cameras, and both were fine picture takers, so keep on trying.
The last time I laid my hands on one is ages ago, but apart from the meter it is a rather close copy of the Konica 35. See this source for details http://endoscopy.jp/moto/camera/camera_repair/c35/index.htm
In that same source there are some other useful articles exposing the internals.

Zanxion72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed pretty much alike my Mikron! I have managed to open it, clean the blades and put everything back (which has been a lot harder).
Now everything, but its dead meter, are working perfectly!
The only thing that remains is find some glue to put the leatherette back on it.
Million thank you for your invaluable link!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration