Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Back focusing issue with Canon New F1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Back focusing issue with Canon New F1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 98

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I just developed the first test roll from the Canon New F1 I got a while ago. I noticed a slight back focus issue. Since most pics were taken with a 28mm wide angle lens and rather small apertures, it is not really noticeable, until I switched to a 50mm lens for closer pics and wide apertures.
Here is a sample:
http://images46.fotki.com/v297/photos/4/1233394/9837650/Scan1212150008-vi.jpg
I carefully focused on my son (center of pic) and even asked him to "hold still while I focus manually". But you can see Jerry in the back clearly in focus.
I took a careful look at the camera and the mirror seems to be fine and seating properly.
I carefully removed the focusing screen and it seems I'm the first to ever do so. No marks of ever been molested whatsoever.
I tested the same lenses in a AE-1 and they are working properly.
At about 8 feet away, the AE-1 focuses at the 7ft mark but the F1 indicates 10 ft. Definitely the issue is in the F1.
Is this a known issue? I'm thinking maybe shims to lift the focusing screen may help.

Any comments on this?

Thanks,
Ismael

Zombicams
Tinkerer
Username: Zombicams

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take off the lens and check the mount on the camera. Try moving it in all directions. I had an AV-1 once and the mount was loose so it caused a problem. When the lens was put on it, the lens would be on tight and solid but still be moving around because the mount on the camera was loose. I solved the problem temporarily by oozing glue down past the mount but I don't suggest it as a repair solution.

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 99

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2012 - 05:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the mount and it is rock solid.
I think I have isolated the problem to the mirror/focusing screen. I did some more testing with the lens scales and the AE-1 body and I think the film plane is getting the correct focus.

Thanks,
Ismael

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration