Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikkor 50mm 1.4 AF-D Autofocus Broken Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikkor 50mm 1.4 AF-D Autofocus Broken « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sm38
Tinkerer
Username: Sm38

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2012 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was changing lenses on my D600 from my 15-35 AF-S to my 50mm 1.4 AF-D while sitting at my desk. The 50mm slipped out of my hand and fell a whopping 2-3 inches onto the desk top (made a very small dent in the wood -- it's hefty lens for its size). When I mounted the 50mm, the autofocus won't respond. It makes an initial mechanical noise (like a very short wind-up) like it's trying to AF, but no AF response. So I put the 17-35 on the D600 and AF worked just fine. I put the 50mm on a D80 and an F100 and also no AF. So I think I've isolated that it's a lens problem. I've gone through all the standard lens cleaning procedures (blower, brush, and alcohol Q-tip treatment) but again, to no avail.
Any advice on how to proceed?
Just replace the lens with a new AF and use this lens on my MF bodies? Worth sending in to Nikon or bringing to an authorized repair shop in Los Angeles? I bought it used off of Amazon just a few months ago, but I don't think it's still under warranty (don't know when the previous owner purchased it …)
Please advise. Thanks.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 434

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those Nikkor AF's sure don't like being bounced around, do they? You've probably jarred it enough to knock things out of alignment inside, thus jamming the focus mechanism.

This forum deals with mostly older manual focus lenses and cameras, so I don't know how much help you can get, though someone here may have some knowledge of your issue. It's going to take a teardown to fix it, and you will need the proper tools, and diagrams to guide you. There is a Nikon Fix group over on Yahoo where you can find some help if no one comes through for you here. Wish you all the luck with that lens, Nikon makes good stuff.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration