Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XK stop down lever in body Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XK stop down lever in body « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brianw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianw

Post Number: 16

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 21, 2012 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I have a Minolta XK and the and the aperture lever in the body does not hold the aperture of the lens open unless the DOF button is pressed. I am relatively sure that I can fix this but I don't know what the internal parts look like and I would like to know what I am getting into before I try to disassemble the camera. Any suggestions? Thanks and Happy Holidays! Brian

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 437

Posted on Friday, December 21, 2012 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you are saying the DOF button works in the opposite mode than what it is supposed to? In other words, the button is opening the aperture, instead of closing it down? Never heard that one before.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 317

Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 04:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some Cosina M42 cameras had it that way. Aperture was closed for DOF preview and metering via half depressing the shutter release. To re-open the aperture you had to depress a button by the lens mount which could be mistaken with a DOF preview.

Sorry, that has nothing to do with the XK.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 235

Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has to be this way.

Long time ago i had the XM which is the European version of the XK.

When the DOF button is at the inner position you should have open diaphragma. The outer position is for the actual DOF control.

However that DOF button should have a latching function and the button should be latched on the inner position untill you push it again.

Brianw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianw

Post Number: 17

Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

Yes, it seems to NOT be latching in the open position. When I press the DOF button, the aperture opens. When I let go, it closes again. This seems to be opposite of the correct action and no latching open. Also, the latching mechanism inside of the camera does not move when I press the shutter release.

As an aside, when I do press the DOF button, the aperture on the lens opens slowly, but this is not an error of the lens as when I open the aperture manually with the pin, it snaps open and close.

So I need to clean / lubricate / adjust the mechanism, if so any have a photo or drawing where it exactly is.

Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration