Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1, exposure memory and exposu... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon A-1, exposure memory and exposure preview switches « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zanxion72
Tinkerer
Username: Zanxion72

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 21, 2012 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you please help me identify if there is a fault with my A-1? I have an FD 50mm 1.8 S.C. breech lock mount lens on it.

Problem 1: I have been trying to lock the exposure by pressing and holding the exposure memory switch recompose and then press the shutter all the way. I can see the exposure values changing in the viewfinder and the exposure is done with the new values (e.g. I have tried to lock 1/60 sec at f/11 and it fires at 1/60 sec at f/1.8).

Problem 2. Trying a DOF preview, I move away from A the aperture ring, press the exposure preview switch, but the lens does not stop down.

Am doing things wrong, or my A-1 is broken?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1046

Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You do not give enough details of how you have set the camera for a definitive answer to 'is there a fault', but I doubt it. The Canon instruction book for the A1 gives very specific instructions on how to proceed in the operations you are trying to do. If you have not got an instruction manual to hand, there are plenty of free downloads available. (Given below is shortcut to a very good site)

www.butkus.org/chinon

Thus I am not going to start copying out great sections. All I will say is that for the exposure memory lock to function correctly the camera must be in AE mode and that for DOF preview to work correctly the shutter must be cocked. Page 64 (of the first edition) in the A1 manual gives great detail on the errors that can occur in DOF preview if the correct procedures are not followed.

Zanxion72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have my A1 in AE mode, Tv, or Av. But when pressing and holding the exposure memory switch and re-compose, the values change in the viewfinder.
I have an FD 50mm 1.8 (breech lock) lens on it.

G3bill
Tinkerer
Username: G3bill

Post Number: 34

Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 01:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also couldn't get mine to lock or hold last week so guess I need to re read the manual after moping up all the oil from stopping the squeak :-(

ps. I also used that manual download when I got the A-1, Great site...

Zanxion72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2012 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be sure to follow this guide here http://jetbutterfly.web.fc2.com/camera/e_squeak.html

It is easy, takes less than five minutes, no syringes, no fiddling, just on brief or two sprays and here you go.

Zanxion72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 04:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just today I have understood that the exposure memory works in two stages like the shutter button. Slight press makes an exposure preview and firm press locks the exposure.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration