Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Help please! exacta vx iia Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Help please! exacta vx iia « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sean_vxiia
Tinkerer
Username: Sean_vxiia

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 06:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently picked up an exakta iia cheap for my fiance and it is in really nice condition externaly but the gearing that sets the mirror and 1 of the springs the tensions the curtains may have slipped because the curtains don't release. does anyone have anything I can try before Christmas
Thanks
pics to follow

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1266

Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i don't know if this will come as good or bad news, but your problem might not be the gearing or springs: the curtains may be stiff with age and unable to move under normal spring force. If so (a pretty common thing with East German cameras from that time period), what it needs is new curtains. You can make them from the material of an old film changing bag. I have some notes on the disassembly - email rick_oleson@yahoo.com for a copy.

Sean_vxiia
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The curtain on this camera that I can see doesn't seem to have any wrinkles, i can set it into position with a feeler gauge it just won't make a full travel when I release the shutter. I've atempted to disassemble the shutter assembly  but I'm stuck at the slow speed dial. all the diagrams I found say that that's a reverse threaded (right to loosen) retaining nut is this true I don't want to break anything.
If you want I've posted pics of every thing on photo bucket my user name is se-don ill repost them here as soon as I get to my laptop Photobucket mobile wont give you a link to embed in forms
Thanks

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 05:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
The slow speed dial screw is a right hand thread,but a regular flat screw driver will damage the slot.If you look you will see the slot has a curved dip in it and you will have to make a similar shaped tool to fit before using any force on it to undo.
You do not say wether it is the first or second curtain which is sticking.I bought a 11B with a sticking second curtain and squirted lighter fuel at the top of both curtain rollers and the shutter has worked perfectly since.Maybe your's has hardened lubricant inside the rollers and does not need to be stripped down.
Chris.

Sean_vxiia
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used the rounded end of a feeler gauge to take those arked screws out of the top off the shutter cocking mechanism and the slow speed dial but underneath them there's a retaining nut that takes a spanner wrench. I remove the shutter cocking 1but the slow speed dial is stuck and I just want to check before damaging anything.. thanks for the suggestion though I'll snag a can of penetrating oil tonight and maybe with a little bit a lube it will loosen up. also is far as stuck curtains I assume it's both the 1 I can see only moves a bit and I never see a second 1 when I release the shutter

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 14

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, DO NOT use penetrating oil what ever you do! You will destroy the curtain material.Only use lighter fuel[as used for old petrol cig lighters]this is harmless to all camera materials,only watch it does not dissolve oil or grease and re-deposit it on lens glass,especially internal surfaces,which means dismantling the lens to clean.
Chris.

Sean_vxiia
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok good catch that'd of been horrible. I think I have a can of zipo fluid around some where
Thanks

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 84

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used petrol [gas]to flush clean the spindle bushes. I do not see any reason to disassemble the shutter assembly. If you have already removed the chassis from the shell then you will have access to all the spindle bushes including the ones at the bottom. You can adjust the tension on the spindles from the slow speed side. There are two cotter pins holding the springs in tension. Take care while removing the cotter pins to rotate the spindles. You need to hold the spindle up in position with a pin or stiff wire to prevent its falling down. Do not remove both cotter pins at the same time. Do the adjustments one at a time. Also try and keep the bottom pressed on a flat surface to keep the spindles up. I use a straightened paper clip in place of the cotter pin to make the adjustments. Best, Subbarayan.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration