Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica TL Electro X unable to focus ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica TL Electro X unable to focus (I'm new to this) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bonsai
Tinkerer
Username: Bonsai

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I'm sorry for this, but I am fairly new to all this. Well completely new actually. But I got this camera for me and my girlfriend to have something to do together. And at dirt couple days when I got it. Everything worked perfectly well. Focus was all good on all lenses. But after swapping out some lenses it seems something went wrong on it. I can't seem to get it to focus right on any of the lenses. On the zooms it's not too apparent since its focusing at zoom (if that makes sense) But when I put what I consider just the standard lens, a Yashinon DS-M 55mm lens. It can't focus at all. Like if it I can't turn it far back enough to reach the focus. If I have it set to infinity on the lens range it's completely out of focus. Unless I move the camera about 1 foot or less away from anything then it looks perfectly clear.

I've read a little bit and seem to be seeing something about maybe the mirror? What should I be looking for? As far as the mirror or maybe on the lenses. Would maybe a CLA on the camera itself fix this?

Thank you or any help. I'm trying to get it fixed ASAP seeing as she goes back to college in a couple weeks and want her to take it with her. If you guys need any more info or pictures of whatever let me know!

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,sounds like the mirror to me.Wind camera so the mirror is down and check to see if it is seated in its metal tray correctly.Then check to see if it is wound down fully to its stop by very gently pushing it down[without touch the surface of the mirror].Failing that ,it could be an unseated focusing screen[above the mirror]but do not touch it if it seems seated OK as the underside is very easy to damage.Other than that look for viewfinder faults.Is the view lopsided as the prism may have moved[unlikely]Does the viewfinder have a dioptre adjustment or a screw on lens for a previous owner with poor eyesight.

Bonsai
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok well I looked at the mirror. And it reaches a metal stop but I can put that further down if I press down on the mirror. But it just comes back up to the first position with the spring load. I'm guessing that that is the adjustment for it? But no it has no other adjustments on the viewfinder that I can tell or other lens. Like I said the first couple days I had it. It worked perfectly fine and focused great with no problems. It was only after swapping out a lens that it stopped focusing correctly. If it's the mirror I'm not too sure how I would go as to adjusting it?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1269

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it just that one lens that has the problem? I would not mess with the mirror position until you're positive about what's going on, you can do more harm than good. For the mirror to cause a lens set at infinity to focus very close would require the mirror to have gone down TOO FAR, which seems very unlikely to have happened. Something might have gone wrong with that lens, though: the focus ring might have slipped off of its settings while you were unscrewing the lens from the body, for example, so that the scale reads infinity but the lens is actually racked way out.

Bonsai
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update:

Well it's fixed! It was somewhat of a dumb mistake on my part... On one of the long zoom lenses I received with the camera, had a about 1/4 inch extension adapter for it since the mount on the lens is different, and well I never noticed after I took it off it stayed on the body. And I had tried to removed it before but it was really tight in there. But looking more inside the body I noticed the plate that pushes the aperture pin on the lenses in, was in no way reaching the actual pin but knew it worked before. And it was because there was that extra thickness of the adapter. So after some heavy grunting I was able to unscrew that adapter and now it all works perfect again. I knew that that adapter just didn't seem right on there but with it so tight I thought it was permanent. Haha

Again still, thank you so much for the help even though. Guess I'll be going through some of these amature mistakes haha.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration