Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XD11 shutter releases with wi... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XD11 shutter releases with wind-on « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chrisb
Tinkerer
Username: Chrisb

Post Number: 22

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IINM the shutter release on this camera is electronic? so i'm thinking/hoping it may just be a question of cleaning the contacts, as opposed to the flexboard beig kaput.

anyway, here's what happened:

i put in batteries and the meter LEDs lit up, but it wouldn't wind or fire. thinking maybe it was a question of needing fresh batteries, i swapped in a new pair but still the same issue. in handling the camera i had slightly nudged the self timer lever, so i tried winding the self-timer out all the way and depressed the shutter. this gave joy but then when i wound on, the shutter released. and again, and again.

on this camera, when you wind on, the mechanism doesn't actually engage until the lever is at about perpendicular to the body. it is when the advance lever *returns* to this point, that the shutter releases. so i'm not sure how to diagnose. is it the contacts, or something in the wind mechanism?

hoping someone can help. thanks in advance. . . .

Chrisb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 23

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, this problem seems rather strangely to have solved itself.

(i should point out, fwiw, that the shutter release appears to be mechanical, or has a non-electronic mode, because even without batteries the self-timer can be tripped.)

i decided i didn't want to wait for a reply, so i removed the bottom cover to see if i could identify what might be going wrong. needless to say, i couldn't. and got frustrated with the fact that, with the bottom cover removed, you can't power up the camera because the battery holder screws into the bottom cover itself as opposed to the body of the camera (and holding the battery holder in place doesn't work either). so i tripped the shutter a few times via the self timer and replaced the bottom cover.

when i put the batteries back in, the shutter again would not trip, so i gave the self-timer one more go. the shutter tripped and when i would on, the shutter is no longer tripping by itself.

so the problem seems to be resolved for now. but i'm still curious what it could have been, and whether others have had this problem with this camera.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 233

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Minolta XD11 has an electronic shutter, but also has two mechanical speeds: "B" and "O". "O" delivers a mechanical 1/100 second without battery power. Your issue with the shutter releasing after completing the wind stroke is normally caused by a dirty mirror release magnet. If the armature of the combination release magnet is contaminated, the magnet surfaces will not make contact and will release the mirror after winding. You might be lucky and some bit of metal or other contamination may have moved off the magnet surface. Or it might show up again!
Bill

Chrisb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 24

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2012 - 01:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah, that's what every source i've ever seen says, about the xd11 shutter. nevertheless, the self-timer was tripping the shutter despite being battery-less and most definitely *not* being set on either B or O (though presumably it was firing at the 1/100 mechanical speed).

anyway, thanks for the input, bill. appreciated. i was holding the camera upside down while winding & firing with the bottom cover off, which is likely what cleared the magnets.

i take it i would have to pull the mirror box in order to service? would this require pulling the shutter as well?

-chris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration