Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb - self timer has jammed the... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FTb - self timer has jammed the shutter release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George
Tinkerer
Username: George

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon FTb which work working fine, with the single exception of the self timer. The self timer would wind up, but not click on. Then when unwinding, would fail to trigger the shutter.

I suspect that the escapement is gummed up and needs cleaning. This is not easy as it is behind the vinyl covering.

After attempting to clean with some Naptha the now shutter will not release at all. The shutter lock is not on, it does not need winding and I have tried using the 'double exposure' method to get it operational. The shutter release seems to be locked by a mechanical mechanism somewhere in the camera.

This does seem a somewhat common condition with the FTb and the archives and Tomosy do not offer a solution to this.

Any ideas?

George

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 234

Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First thing to check on an FTb that is jammed is the frame counter window. It is a plastic bit that is glued to the inside of the top cover. It can become unglued, fall into the wind mechanism and cause problems such as you described.
Bill

George
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, the exposure counter window is absolutely okay. Should have mentioned that in my original post.

George
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have removed the front of the camera and discovered the cause of the jam: the spring in the self timer mechanism has broken, causing it to over wind and to obstruct the shutter release.

After removing the self time mechanism the camera looks to be working fine. Will confirm this when it is fully reassembled.

Is there anywhere from where I can obtain a new self timer mechanism? I am hesitant to buy another camera for this, unless it is already broken and inexpensive.

George

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 235

Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have most FTb parts available, if you still need the ST assembly, send me a PM.
Bill

G4tty
Tinkerer
Username: G4tty

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 05:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to resurrect a thread that is now a few months old, but I'm pretty sure my FTb has the same problem and was wondering if I could get your advice on fixing it. How difficult is the procedure for getting to the self timer mechanism/wherever the spring had become lodged?

I have not performed any repairs on a camera before but have now got a replacement FTb so it is not the end of the world if I am unable to fix it, but would like to try myself so I can learn a bit more about the camera.

If anyone has any advice on where to get hold of a Canon FTb repair manual I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks very much,

Harry

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 269

Posted on Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry, I have a .pdf of the FTb/TLb Service Manual. Shoot me a pm with your email address and I'll send it to you.

As for your self-timer, it is pretty easy to get to. You have to peel back the leatherette, which exposes the mechanism and the screws that hold it in place. To reglue the leatherette, contact cement -- the flexible kind -- will work. A little bit of that stuff goes a long way.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration