Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Proper tension on take-up spool clutch Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Proper tension on take-up spool clutch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 60

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the proper tension for the Nicca/Leica III style take up spool clutch? I'm thinking mine might be too tight even though it will spin if held while advancing knob.
When I get toward the end of a roll, the film tears, sprocket holes strip out then film rips. Trying to do myself as I can't afford the CLA I wanted at this point in time.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 446

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2012 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just back it off a bit until it quits tearing the film. Had the same problem on an Agfa Karat, but don't know how the tensioning is set on a Nicca. On mine it was a matter of watching the film guide flap to make sure it didn't rise up on it's own, and after two quarter turns of the setting screw, it was okay. I used a couple rolls of film I got in used cameras, or old expired stuff I wasn't collecting. Good luck, and Happy New Year, Rich!

PF

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 61

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2012 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Phil, and you have a good one too! If it's too loose and it's tightened all the way, then what? washers?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 447

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2012 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure what you mean by "too loose and it's tightened all the way". I thought you were complaining about it being too tight? Does not compute! I don't see how it could be tearing film, and be too loose.

The only thing I know about the Nicca film take-up is it is like all Barnack design copies, and is done by friction between the drive shaft, and interior of the spool. I took a look at my Zorki, and there is a slotted retainer on the end of the shaft with a spring underneath it. This I would assume to be the clutch spring. If you are not getting enough tension on the spring, then remove the retainer, and stretch the spring out a little bit at a time, until you are satisfied with the tension.

PF

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 62

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2012 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(streach the spring, I thought that might help) The clutch might be too loose(?) (another theory I read about) film can get bunched up and the film can back up causing slack and the sprocket teeth will slip in the holes but not tear. Only reason I suspect this is, after the unpleasant noise of film slipping and the rewind knob no longer spins and I attempt to rewind the film, I believe it breaks then because when I remove the bottom, the broken half attached to take-up spool is not wrapped entirely around spool (indicating it broke, then rewind knob stops turning, as you wind on praying it will catch, it gets fully wrapped around spool) instead, when I remove the bottom, there is sufficient film still in the pressure plate area and around sprocket with tear near the sprocket area and once there was obvious folded and binding evidence.

I'm a real piece of work aren't I? LOL I need some cheap film to sacrifice and just watch (with bottom plate removed) as I wind on and see exactly what happens.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 448

Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The issue with trying to watch it from the bottom, is you lose the support knob for the take-up spool, and then you'll really have problems. I think that may be the issue on my YF binding up. My temporary fix most likely doesn't fit well, and lets the spool drift too much.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration