Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fujica ST605 - Light seal? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Fujica ST605 - Light seal? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lawrence
Tinkerer
Username: Lawrence

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Inside the body, above and below the mirror, of my Fujica ST605 there is a strip of black felt-like stuff. I've noticed that the top strip has started to disintegrate. It's missing a chunk in the middle.

What is the purpose of this material? Is it some sort of light seal, or is it something for protection of parts like the mirror or lens?

I've taken some photos with the camera since spotting it and they've turned out fine, so there doesn't seem to be any immediate problem. I'm merely wondering whether it's something that's likely to deteriorate quickly and whether it's something I need to look into replacing.

Zombicams
Tinkerer
Username: Zombicams

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a shock absorber when the mirror flips up. It can be replaced with any strip of foam cut to size and glued in place with a dab of contact cement. Not a vital component. Works as good without it. You might want to remove the crumbling foam though so it doesn't crumble off into the inner works and gum something up.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 319

Posted on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 03:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The top one is not a vital part but replacing it will greatly reduce noise from the mirror when shooting and in the long run certainly help to reduce wear on the mirror and the mechanics.

You might want to have a look at Jon Goodman's instructions on the ST 605 which cover replacing all light seals on that camera. Mirror damper included. You can find it here:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/sealreplacement.html

You will also find Jon's email there if you need to contact him.

Best
Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration