Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM 1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus OM 1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Abuja
Tinkerer
Username: Abuja

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good morning
I bought an Olympus OM 1 (black) to go back to shooting with film, the light meter registers 4 stops less than the Nikon D90.
Terms of metering, ISO 100 50 mm lens the two cameras facing the sky on a cloudy day, battery ok
D90 f v.130: 11
OM-1 v.125 f: 2.8
How to adjust the photometer, overhaul $ 180
I paid the OM-1, $ 226
thank you very much
Google Translation

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 19

Posted on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OM1's should use a 1.35 volt mercury cell,which is no longer legal to make.There is a firm that makes an adapter so you can use a 1.5 volt alkaline cell,making it large enough to fit and also reducing the voltage to 1.35 volts.

Check out:- https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/mercurybattery.html

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 450

Posted on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can also get a direct same size and voltage replacement battery called a Wein Cell at http://www.micro-tools.com/store/home.aspx

PF

Lrsnrl
Tinkerer
Username: Lrsnrl

Post Number: 27

Posted on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try this site for some info on how different
battery voltages affect exposure.

http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware/PDFs/
DiodeVer2_1C.pdf

The readings you are experiencing should not be
that far off so your camera probably needs to be
calibrated and the 1.35v battery would not help
much.

G3bill
Tinkerer
Username: G3bill

Post Number: 42

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 01:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Wein zinc air cell? I can't find a thumbs down symbol:-) If you're in a bind and need a battery today ok, but I bought one years ago and never again, didn't last anywhere near a year....IMO its JUNK! and not the best way to go...

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatever you decide to use for powering the meter,if you still have a couple of stops out I personally would just adjust the ASA film speed dial to compensate.If you use the same speed film most of the time it's no hassle.Old camera meters will not be as accurate as DSLR's anyway.Be thankful for great latitude in modern film!

Abuja
Tinkerer
Username: Abuja

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Garner, MacFarland and Larsno, thanks for the links, I solved the problem battery (battery hearing 1.4v).
I want to solve the problem in the camera must have an internal adjustment in the machine.
Garner, to compensate for this difference, with ISO 100 film, the OM 1 have to use ISO 1600
Google translation, thanks

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 451

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may have some high resistance in the circuit somewhere. Especially if the batteries ever leaked, as the corrosion will work it's way up the wire to the meter. I'd take the top off the camera, and check the resistance of the battery lead to the meter, look for corrosion around the ends of the wire, and maybe run a bypass jumper to see if the meter reacts properly. Other than that, CdS cells do go bad sometimes.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration