Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Correct adhesive for lens repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Correct adhesive for lens repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Angel
Tinkerer
Username: Angel

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Newbie poster here. I have a perfectly good zoom lens which has a loose bezel. The bezel is no longer connected to the focusing barrel. I would like to fix the bezel to the focusing barrel with adhesive but I do not want to damage the glass. The previous owner had 'solved' the problem by using sticky tape which was hidden by the rubber ring. I do not want to repeat that process. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Sillyconguru
Tinkerer
Username: Sillyconguru

Post Number: 44

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you sure that the previous owner did this 'repair'? It was quite normal practice, during production, to use adhesive tape to connect two parts of focussing rings on lenses.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 414

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just worked on a Tokina lens which had the two halves of the focus/zoom ring fixed together with tape. It was hidden under the rubber grip as you describe.

Angel
Tinkerer
Username: Angel

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much for the information. I realise now that the tape might well have been original but defective - the bezel was lose when I discovered the tape. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of tape to use in a repair?

Sillyconguru
Tinkerer
Username: Sillyconguru

Post Number: 45

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ones I've seen just look like Sellotape (Scotch tape).

Thomas_mann
Tinkerer
Username: Thomas_mann

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I, too was astonished to find a zoom lens where two parts of the barrel are fixed together with black tape beneath a rubber grip ring. This is on a Sigma UC Zoom 70-210mm 1:4-5.6, Pentax PK mount.
It just looks like good quality black plastic self-adhesive tape!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration