Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb - Small Ball Bearing, Film ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FTb - Small Ball Bearing, Film Counter Fix, Order of Stacking of Washes etc. on Advance Lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lew
Tinkerer
Username: Lew

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello to all.

I have a few issues with my Canon FTb, all of which are more or less connected. Any help at all will be very much appreciated...

I recently made the mistake of allowing a drunk to use my camera. The film ended but the drunk forced the advance lever and now the film counter does not work... everything else is still functioning okay but if I can repair this I'd like to know how to do it...

I have already removed the top of the camera to have a look at the advance lever and film counter. Nothing seems to be out of place or broken, and when I move the counter on from 0 to 38 and then pull the little lever out from beneath it, the counter automatically revolves back to 0.
Does this mean I have somehow fixed the problem and that it will work as normal once I put the top back on?

The second issue is that in the process of removing the top cover, I screwed out the rewind folk and as I did a tiny ball bearing fell out... I can not find where this belongs...
One thing I did notice was that before I took the top off, there was a slight rattle from inside the camera which has now disappeared since the ball bearing fell out... My guess is that the ball bearing is from another section of the camera and has made its way to rewind folk... If this is the case then it has been like that for a very long time and the camera has always worked. But I'd rather not have to tear the whole thing apart or put it all back together without the ball bearing to only find the camera is no longer working...

The last issue is my own stupid ass fault...
I had the advance lever and its parts laid out in the order I removed them, but later clumsily knocked them and now I have almost completely forgotten which part goes where...
I think I have a pretty good idea but before I put it all back together I just want to be sure... If anyone knows the correct order it would be a load off my mind... I'm putting together a photo of the parts and I'll post it soon...

Thanks

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 458

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ball bearing sounds like it may be a detent for the rewinder shaft. You could have very well fixed the counter problem, as it was probably just a lever misplaced by the forced advance, and you've popped it back in place. As to the advance lever assembly order, I'd have to tear one down first to help. But I've got a junker sitting right behind me, so if you can wait a day or two, I can take a look at it, and make a set of assembly photos. I'll also check on where that detent ball came from.

PF

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 459

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to ask, is your camera an FTb, or an FTbn?

PF

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 461

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guessed correctly about the ball bearing being a detent for the rewinder shaft.
Canon FTbn Rewind Shaft Detent

And the proper order of reassembly for all the top pieces are as below, left to right, top to bottom 1: Four screws in the cover, the flat-headed one goes in the front, one on the winder end of the top, and the other two in the back. 2: Battery well cover. 3: Rewinder knob and small spacer on top of the shaft. 4: Actuate/Lock lever with two thin shims (smaller one goes on first). 5: Speed Set Dial with plastic gear, two shims, dial, and retainer screw. 6: Winding Lever with plastic spacer, pusher plate, small shim, lever, plastic washer, pressure washer, and retainer.
Canon FTbn Top Cover Parts

Hope this helps, Lew. Sorry about the photo quality, but it's a matter of having to use three different programs to do this.

PF

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 462

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to mention that everything that screws on is right-handed thread, clockwise (on), counter-clockwise (off).

PF

Lew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks man, this has helped me massively.
Sorry I've took a while to respond, I had trouble remembering my log in.
My camera is an FTb, and the picture quality is fine.

Thanks.

Lew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if you could help me with one other thing... The majority of photos that come out are always split in half and merged with others, is this an alignment issue?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 463

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't know what you're talking about. Could be a compatability issue on your end, as I don't see any problem with photos here. And no one else has mentioned it.

PF

Lew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No I mean when I use my FTb to take photos and then when they are developed they come out with two photos merged into one or sometimes split in half... I have been wanting to know what is causing this for some time now... Any ideas?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 465

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this before, or after the drunk got ahold of your camera? Sounds like the take-up spool is slipping. Can't help you on that, I've never done the adjustment before. Or it could be some gear has gotten stripped from the forced advance. Maybe you should get it overhauled, as with so many things wrong at the same time, and it's had some rough treatment, who knows what else could go wrong next.

PF

Lew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 05:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was before, it has done it since the day I got it. Yeah I got a good price on an overhaul, it's getting sorted now, I hope...

Cheers for your help.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration