Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Exacta Varex IIB reassembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Exacta Varex IIB reassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Plaskey
Tinkerer
Username: Plaskey

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings to all on this forum. I have a question about the above camera. Under the left hand top plate (the wind side) the wind lever has a large coil spring that returns it to the rest position - when I took the top plate off mine the spring inevitably sprang loose, and I can't quite see how it should be repositioned - on either side of the ratchet gear of the wind lever there is a pawl that engages the teeth in the film counter, on the other side is an L shaped tab that sticks up parallel to the gear. Should the spring go outside these, or inside, or a combination of both? How many turns should it be tensioned? I admit this is not my favourite old camera but it's worth fixing.
PL

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1273

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The spring goes inboard of everything and is wound fairly tight (I don't have a turn count). I have a photo of this spot on a VXIIb - email me at [email protected] and I'll send you the pic.

Plaskey
Tinkerer
Username: Plaskey

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, thanks for this one - I can see the spring should sit under the counter dial - it should be only tight enough to return the lever firmly. Trying to wind it back was like wrestling an eel, but it's back in now! I can also see the tab to the right of the dial (opposite the pawl) is broken on mine as well, seems to be a weakness on these. The left hand shutter curtain also looks "slow" on 1/1000 sec speed, when looking through the shutter opening while releasing the shutter - can't quite see what's wrong here, but I have yet to test it with a film. These cameras are easy to work on but the metal is sometimes of poor quality, with stripped threads being an issue - probably better to get a "beater" for parts!

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 85

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had similar problems with the VXIIB; the quality of materials seems to have deteriorated with this edition of the VX series. In mine the return spring became brittle and broke several times into pieces. However, I use the camera, now. without the return spring, returning the lever by my index finger. It makes no difference whether you have the spring or not! That is good basic design.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration