Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE front plate/mirror box insta... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon FE front plate/mirror box installation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robertboyet
Tinkerer
Username: Robertboyet

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two Nikon FE cameras that I am working on simultaneously and I am running across identical problems while trying to put the mirror box back into place. I did not work on the mirror box or shutter assembly on either camera as that was not the problem with either one. So neither box nor shutter settings have been disturbed. My problem is that after I get the box back in and test the function, I find that after cocking and firing, first the mirror will come up and open, next the shutter will discharge but the mirror will stay open and not return to the down position. Therefore, the cycle is not completed. I do have the repair manual which instructs to cock the shutter with the rewind, charge the mirror and install front plate being careful to insure proper engagement of all the levers and gears in six different places. Well that's a lot to get right but I think I managed except I can't see positively especially on one simply called signal lever (#328). I do believe it might be the lever that releases the mirror return but not sure. Has anyone had this difficulty and can you verify that? I have had the boxes in and out on both cameras a dozen times and yet the problem persists in both. By the way, the shutter will work in bulb as well as in the M90 position but the problem of the shutter not returning to open after the shutter is released remains the same. I still have all the wiring disconnected but I don't think it necessary in order to test the shutter/mirror function. Am I correct? I know this post is a bit technical but if this is a common obstacle encountered in re assembly of the FE then maybe there is a simple answer. Any response is appreciated. Thanks.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robertboyet
Tinkerer
Username: Robertboyet

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I answered my own question. I did fail to get the signal lever (#328) on the mirror box properly engaged with the activating lever on the shutter assembly. Even with very good light and just the right angle and knowing exactly what you are looking far and where to look for it, it is very hard too see if these parts are properly aligned. Even if you can't see the engagement it is very important that after getting all the other points aligned that as the face plate is finally being mated to the body that it is done by moving the top corner in the right hand left downward toward the bottom corner in the left hand. Confusing? It just has to be done that way in order to slide the mirror box lever under the activator lever on the shutter side.
I will try to watch this post for questions. I have gotten lots of answers from here. Thanks!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration