Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiev 4a shutter speed problem .exposure Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Kiev 4a shutter speed problem .exposure « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cici
Tinkerer
Username: Cici

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 06:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i've manage to buy a broken kiev 4a for 2Euro, and succeed to repair the rangefinder and the timer, but the shutter speed it's driving me crazy. i have no problem to cock the shutter but i can not change the speed.

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 25

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you say you cannot change the speed,do you mean all speeds selected are the same,or that when you lift the speed adjustment knob it will not lift or turn?

Cici
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it will not turn.. and if i force it a little , the curtain is pulled so hard that i risk to damage the curtain.

Fidji
Tinkerer

Post Number: 26

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you lift the speed dial,the flat with a red dot should turn either way to select a higher or lower speed.When you lift it,it should disengage from the film wind/shutter cocking lower section of the knob.If,as you say,the curtain is being pulled,it is not disengaging.As you have obviously removed this knob for the repairs to the rangefinder,I think you may have re-assembled the knob incorrectly.Does the flat section with the red dot face to the front of the camera as it should? It is possible to put back on facing the other way.The position of the shutter release button can also be inadvertently put back the wrong way round.
Hope this helps.

Cici
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

after the repair at the rangefinder, i've reassembled the camera, and the exposure worked until de 1/25 speed. so i opened the camera again without changing any screw position , and that happened. i may have turned in the opposite way something..

Cici
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i've discoved that if i wind the mechanism from the big wheel next to the curtain in front, i can change the speed. and thats not an alternative..so.. any new ideas ?

Fidji
Tinkerer

Post Number: 27

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you mean the film sprocket wheels?If you turn them and can cock the shutter and then can move the speed knob,it seems that the film advance assembly is not correct as it appears it worked before you took the top plate off.
Did you take the shutter assembly out when you fixed the self timer?If you did you may have more serious problems.
You only paid 2 Euro's.What other pastime can give you as much pleasure for 2 Euros? :-]

Cici
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

not the film sprocket wheels, if you remove the shutter assembly, in front of it, next to the timer arm is a big wheel half of it larger, half of it slimmer. of that i was talking about.

Jwong
Tinkerer
Username: Jwong

Post Number: 20

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Cici,

this site http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/
may give you more hints.

Cici
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you, but i already know about that site, and it gave me not a clu about the problem.... :-(

Cici
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yuuuuhuuu, i ve managed to repair it, the problem was in the curtain. it got stucked from the another half and i could not leave that gap between them . it needed just a little push with my hand and finny.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration