Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Disassembly Leica Summitar 50 F2 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Disassembly Leica Summitar 50 F2 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jwong
Tinkerer
Username: Jwong

Post Number: 21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2013 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently I found a piece of material inside my Summitar, bad news. Not sure what is it. It is 2 cm long 5mm wide when view from outside and in a bit curve shape! The aperture looks in good shape and move smoothly. Don't want the piece scratches the lenses. Would like to take apart and retrieve it. My version has circular blade. There are 2 screws on the aperture ring. Please see attached. Any advice to unscrew the front element would be much appreciated.Summitar

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1051

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you sure it is not an iris blade? When a piece of material that big suddenly appears inside a lens, I suspect that it is an indication that one needs to do more than just remove the offending piece.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 160

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The front element simply unscrews.

Like Glenn, I suspect that might be an iris blade.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 326

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe this helps:
http://justinlow.com/articles/repair-leica-summitar

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 93

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could very well be paint that was used to blacken the edge of one of the inner lens elements that peeled off.

Yes, the front group just unscrews. You would then be able to repaint the exposed edge.

This happened to my Summar.

I used Kodak Brushing Lacquer No. 4 (Dull Black), which is wonderful, very suitable, and long unavailable.

Jwong
Tinkerer
Username: Jwong

Post Number: 22

Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks all for your advice. Finally, I unscrewed the front element. What a relief! As John suggested it was just a piece of peel off paint. But I could not tell where it was peel off from.
Thanks again.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 95

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2013 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you couldn't see a non-painted area around the rear element of the front group, it must be from the front element of the back group. That area is pretty well hidden behind the aperture mechanism. It's not not as critical as that edge of the front group, since it's never hit directly by light from the subject.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration