Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Film Advance - double wind... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon AE-1 Film Advance - double wind issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Drbroad
Tinkerer
Username: Drbroad

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just noticed my AE-1 is starting to have inconsistent behaviour. It has a new bater, no squak, the electromagnets are clean and nothing is jammed.

The film advance winds, and the shutter fires. Except every third wind the shutter will not fire - it needs a second wind and then the shutter works.

It feels almost like the gears lose traction at somepoint and it 'slips' and doesn't quite trigger the shutter as active.

This isn't a one off - it can be replicated every single time without fail - which is a good thing when you are trying to fix something. A pattern that is repeartable should be easier to solve.

Im assuming i will beed to get the top off in order to check everything - but i am having a hard time figuring out how to remove the advance lever. I am aware that it needs to be set to B and 3200 before i attempt to remove things but beyond that i am lost. Any help appreciated!

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 110

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Worth taking the base off first and having a fiddle in there? Its much easier that getting the top off, and many cameras have quite a lot of the mechanism at the bottom (I can't speak for this particular camera though).

Drbroad
Tinkerer
Username: Drbroad

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The base didn't really reveal too many of it's secrets. That is how i checked the electro magnets - clean as a whistle.

Scott_tcr
Tinkerer
Username: Scott_tcr

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Except every third wind the shutter will not fire - it needs a second wind and then the shutter works."

so, looking at the magnet, you can turn the advance lever and see the magnet close and hold?

It sounds like the shutter is releasing while cocking, but you didnt mention the shutter releasing prematurely.

If you say its "every third time" then this indeed should help trouble shooting.

Its extremely common for a little black peice of plastic to fall off the top cover into the cocking gears. (the plastic around the shutter speed dial has rivets on the under side)

Once the top cover is removed you can inspect the underside of the cover to see if any of the rivets are missing. You'll probably find one lodged in one of the 3 "stopper channels". I made that last part up..idk gear nomenclature lol.
It'll make sense if you see it.

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 67

Posted on Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 02:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To remove the pin screw on top of the adavance lever use a rubber pad and turn it anti clockwise. A piece of an old car inner tube will do ( ask at your local tyre fitters for one )

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration