Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon F-1 Film advance\Shutter releas... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon F-1 Film advance\Shutter release malfunction « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael_wolfe
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_wolfe

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good evening!
I received a used Canon F-1 SLR as a gift, but I can't seem to operate the film advance lever. I can pull the film advance lever to the ready position (the 30 degree stand-off position), but can't advance it further. I can't make the camera expose either (the shutter release is depressible, but it won't do anything, other than activate the meter). The mirror is in its normal position (not locked-up), and the rest of the dials work fine as far as I can tell. The battery is full and the meter works. I am missing the rewind coupler cover (bottom left of the camera base) though. Can someone point me towards the right direction? Thank you!

G3bill
Tinkerer
Username: G3bill

Post Number: 48

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not an answer but which F-1 do you have? If you have a 6Volt battery I believe most call that a F-1N (capital N), button cell battery for meter only think is original Mechanical F-1 & F-1n was a later type with a few upgrades. If I'm wrong slap me silly cause I can't delete:-)

Michael_wolfe
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It does use the 6v battery and it's equipped with the AE finder FN [finder].
I'm not sure about the N designation, because I couldn't find an N anywhere on the camera body, so there will no slapping today :P
If there are other details you're curious about, ask away :-)
But to come back to my question...
If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

Arfd
Tinkerer
Username: Arfd

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a couple F-1N with this problem. In both cases the wind jam was caused by the first curtain brake getting mis-aligned. It is simple to put right but requires a lot of disassembly. The problem you describe could also be a simple electrical problem. Take the battery out and examine the bottom contact, it should spring up, then press the shutter release. If that doesn't work take off the base plate and look at the release solenoid at the rewind end. Using a small screw driver very gently release the armature. If already wound the shutter will release, if not it is very likely the shutter isn't wound and the problem is a wind fault either due to the brake or something stuck in the shutter gears.

Michael_wolfe
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice, but can you (or someone else) guide me, visually, towards potential resolution?
I love photography and cameras, and consider myself technically inclined, but seeing the camera's mechanism is overwhelming, particularly since I've never seen the mechanism in motion. I did find a repair guide for the camera, but I don't understand much of it.
Just as a side note, the person that gave it to me sent it to a technician that couldn't do much to help him, but I honestly don't think the tech did much... Maybe I'm wrong.
Thanks for the help, and any other input would be highly appreciated! I must say that I am getting a bit frustrated here... :-(

Arfd
Tinkerer
Username: Arfd

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2013 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having the full service manual is a big help, if you know a skilled technician, show him the small diagram under note 5 of page 22. Getting those 2 gears in proper mesh sorts out the jam and frees the secondary problem with the first curtain brake.
Have you tried to release the shutter without the battery in place?

Michael_wolfe
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I didn't meet the right technician yet; I guess. Here's a question: is it a good sign when the technician's HQ looks like a camera graveyard? :P
Regarding the battery issue; I did take the battery out and nothing happens. I opened the battery compartment and did find a rod that extends from the shutter release button to a button at the bottom. Inserting the battery pushes the bottom (negative) contact, which in turn shifts said rod to the side. This discovery didn't lead to much progress..

Michael_wolfe
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's an update: I managed to trip the mirror after exploring the mechanism under the bottom plate. Pressing the shutter release pushes a lever that lifts the mirror, while another lever (that I don't see connected to anything) drops the mirror down.
I've been searching FOR HOURS online, trying to find a repair manual, or even a photograph of the mechanism, so I'd know if something is missing, but no luck; I did find a repair manual (an official one) for the original, '71 F-1, but that mechanism is very(!) diffrent from my version of the F-1. (No wonder I was confused!).
Can someone provide me with at least a picture, so I'd know what to stride for?
If anyone can guide me towards a relevant repair guide, I'd be even more happy :-)
Thank you in advance!

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 64

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2013 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Michael

Here are some photos, I hope they help.

The first 2 are with the shutter released, and then 2 with the shutter charged.

Doug

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 65

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shutter firedShutter firedshutter chargedshutter charged

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration