Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Dead Leica-Meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Dead Leica-Meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer
Username: Hi_country_flash

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Leica-Meter --just plain Leica-meter not an M or any thing with batteries. The needle is loose and will move about but it has no reaction to light. Is it a Selenium powered meter? If so could it be repaired with a silicone type cell from Edmond Scientific. Also how does one access the inside of this meter , I took off the bottom plate and then removed 3 or 4 more screws from a black bakelite looking plate there but it would not come off.

Beepilot
Tinkerer
Username: Beepilot

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just posted a similar question re the Metraphot 3 meter but no responses yet. Metraphot and Leica meters in many of the models are the same meter. Does yours have two screws on the top front edge of the metal cover. If so remove these and there should be a third which can be exposed through the dial windows. The cover can then be removed leaving the movement attached to the plastic base. If there are no visible screws on the top cover then there is a good chance that your meter is the same as my Metraphot 3 in which case I would be interested in hearing if you have had any success disassembling it. Mine has a centre screw (2 pin holes) which looks to hold the dial assembly in place. Possibly removing the dial might expose some cover screws. Incidentally the book "Leica Camera Repair Handbook" by Tomosy has quite a bit of specific information on several of the Leica meters which you would find useful.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 295

Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just as a general thing, selenium cells make their own electricity, and the meter measures the output. Silicon cells change their resistance with light, and require a power source. Not at all the same setup.

Beepilot
Tinkerer
Username: Beepilot

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not so. The silicon cells referred to by the original poster do generate small voltages without an external voltage and are commonly used to replace selenium cells. For example see www.thermojetstove.com/Autoeye/meter.htm

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 497

Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exactly, you can take the silicon solar cell from a small calculator to replace the selinium cell in a Zenit E, with a small potentiometer to achive calibration. Much different than the silicon meter cells M_curie is thinking of.

PF

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 296

Posted on Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My apologies, I was getting confused with later cells - do carry on and let us know if it's feasible.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration