Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Summicron-R 50mm 1966 disassembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Summicron-R 50mm 1966 disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marzipan
Tinkerer
Username: Marzipan

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2013 - 04:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Summicron 50mm v.1 that has haze and I need to clean all the elements.

The front lens element is held in with a retaining ring. When unscrewed, the glass lens comes out easily. In its hole I can see a stepped shiny alloy tube, and a black ring (also stepped) before the next element. This black ring seems to be stuck. Either it is held in from the other side, or it is "rusted" in place because of the alloy around it (aluminium?) having corroded. If it is alternative 2, then I can proceed in making a tool that can grab the ring, but not in the first case.

Does anyone have a clue? Thankful for any help how to take the lens block apart.

Marzipan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nobody so far? It seems there is very little online information about fixing and cleaning old R lenses. I wonder why, since there is a ton of info about other good old brands like Pentax.

Eskimogus
Tinkerer
Username: Eskimogus

Post Number: 58

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it was Leica M there would be alot available lol

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 248

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 50mm f/2 R Summicron lens (first version)has a front element assembly that is made up of 3 un-cemented elements. This complete group can be unscrewed from the lens and this will give you access to cleaning the third element rear surface. If you need to clean the rear of the first element, you would remove the retaining ring holding the front glass in place. Once the front element is removed, the black ring can be removed as it is held in place by the front element. From there you can remove element number two which will give you access to cleaning element two and three.
Bill

Marzipan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brcamera, thanks! From your description it seems I can proceed to try to lift the black ring, which on my first try appears to be stuck.
Where exactly does the complete front group "split" for unscrewing?

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 252

Posted on Monday, March 04, 2013 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After removing the front filter ring, you can unscrew the complete front lens element group as an assembly..
Bill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration