Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

(?) 50mm Elmar f/2.8 v1 Disassembly... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » (?) 50mm Elmar f/2.8 v1 Disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jalpuerto
Tinkerer
Username: Jalpuerto

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2013 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently received a 50mm Elmar as shown below from Adorama's Used sale department.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/images/50mm-f28/D3S_8116-rear.jpg

http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/images/50mm-f28/D3S_8115-460.jpg

Asthetically the lens is a 8/10. The glass is clear and only has a speck of dust. However, the focusing mechanism is smooth, but stiff (takes a lot to move with one finger). I've worked on Nikkor MF and Minolta MF lenses before, but I'm not too sure how to disassemble this Leica lens and access the focusing helicoid by going through the back (if possible). Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 97

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never done it, but I suspect you have to take the rear collar off the collapsible tube so you can remove the lens tube from the focusing mount. There's a risk of messing up the felt inside the focusing mount when removing and replacing the tube, try not to! Then you obviously have to remove those two screws on the front of the focusing mount. Look at how there are slide rails to keep the inner threaded helical (and the lens tube) from rotating. The inner helical goes in an out, but doesn't rotate. The outer helical is held into the mount with a retaining ring of some sort, rotates, but doesn't go in and out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration