Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rim-set Compur speed anomaly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rim-set Compur speed anomaly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nickm758
Tinkerer
Username: Nickm758

Post Number: 31

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone,

I'm having some trouble with a rim-set Compur on an original Rolleicord.

Specifically, I'm having trouble with the 1/50 and 1/25 speeds. 1/50 doesn't fire reliably, and 1/25 is firing at 1 second. All the other speeds seem okay.

In this picture here (not mine) >> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/5090256464_8cff15019d.jpg >> I seem to be having trouble near the escapement, at the 4 o'clock position. There is a pin that moves in and out governing speed - when the shutter is cocked at 1/25, this pin moves all the way towards the lens (up and left in the picture) and then the shutter fires at 1 second.

Is this a lubrication issue? Has the shutter been put together incorrectly? Any help is most appreciated! :-)

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 475

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hate that little adjustment screw. Had to make a special tool to tighten it. I'm happy they changed it later on.

Have you removed and cleaned the escapement? That's usually all it takes to get things working again on these.

PF

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 129

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that pin is controlled by how much it moves towards the lens by the grooves in the speed ring. When putting the speed ring on, make sure the pin fits into the groove. And as stated, if you haven't cleaned the escapement, that will affect the speeds, especially the slower ones.

On my Rolleicord II, the escapement needed cleaning and speeds corrected.

Good Luck.

Nickm758
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the responses!

I have not taken out the slow-speed escapement. Honestly I did not want to, because I'm quite sure I wouldn't be able to put it back together again.

As for the speed governing pin, it's supposed to run along the speed ring, in the grooves, and not underneath it, right?

I do not have the camera in front of me right now, so I will check this evening.

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 130

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the pin goes into the groove. You may have to move it while putting the speed ring on to make sure it is in the groove.

You may well be able to clean the escapement without removing it. If you have all the lenses out, an application of lighter fluid with soaked q-tips and cycling the escapement while saturated will start the cleaning. Hold the shutter so the escapement is at the bottom and the fluid will drain out the bottom.

At the bottom of this page

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/articles.html

Check out Rich Oleson and Dan Mitchell's websites. I have found them to be helpful on cleaning shutters.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 476

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, you don't take it apart, it comes out as one piece after removing the two screws that hold it. Cock the shutter to uncover and remove the second screw, and lift it out. Then give it a good bath in lighter fluid (Ronsonal), or a good grade of Naptha, running the gears back and forth to loosen any thing that has lodged in the teeth. Blow dry, and put back in the shutter. To adjust, loosen that cone headed screw, and move the escapement towards the lens barrel until one second is correct, then tighten the screw. Put everything else back, and you're done. Make sure that pin is not under the speed ring.

Here are my photos of an Agfa Karat 36 with the same shutter, if you need some extra guidence http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyUvJs5

PF

Nickm758
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you again everyone, for being so helpful!! :-)

I opened the shutter again last night, and removed the escapement: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nick_ch/8451333399/in/photostream/ I'm going to bathe the whole unit this weekend.

In its current state, with the name-plate off, set to 1/25: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nick_ch/8452511186/in/photostream .. it fires at 1 second. When cocking the shutter, the speed-governor (I labelled it in the photo) moves all the way to the inside. Cleaning the slow-speed escapement would fix this? The grooves in the speed ring do not. 1/50 does not work properly either, though all the other speeds do.

>> To adjust, loosen that cone headed screw, and move the escapement towards the lens barrel until one second is correct, then tighten the screw. Put everything else back, and you're done. Make sure that pin is not under the speed ring. <<

By cone headed screw, do you mean the one I labelled #1 in this photo? http://www.flickr.com/photos/nick_ch/8452511186/in/photostream

Nickm758
Tinkerer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 05:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I played with it again this evening, but no-go.

I uploaded a video of the shutter in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgIQiamI33s

1/10 works, 1/25 is around 1 second, and 1/50 is around 1/15-ish. What is going wrong?

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 131

Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think cleaning the escapement will fix the erratic speeds you are experiencing. Take a look at Rick Oleson's "tutorial" here.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-88.html

You can see the the escapement has another control that affects it and the 1/10 to 1/25 is where things change.

Another thing I have had happen, but not on my Rolleicord is the leaves in the shutter also can stick to one another, but that affects more than just a few speeds, but can play havoc on the slowest speeds. By watching your video, I don't think you have that issue. It looks like the
"cam follower" and "pallet switch" are in the speed ring grooves.

Good Luck

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 477

Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now there is the problem when using photos that are not the same as what you are talking about, as the one you used in your original post is not the same shutter as the one you are working on. Your Number 1 screw is the one I was referencing, but it's a different design in the first photo. It serves the same function, so the advice is the same. It's just that the one you have is much easier to use.

And speaking of advice, if you're not going to clean the esacapement, don't expect anything to work better just by taking it out and putting it back in. After many decades of all kinds of stuff working it's way into the shutter gearing, you have to clean it properly, or all is for naught.

PF

Nickm758
Tinkerer

Post Number: 35

Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did clean the escapement, but obviously not enough.

Nickm758
Tinkerer

Post Number: 36

Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 02:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Problem solved! (baring any other trouble ...)

The release arm on the slow-speed escapement was bent down and slipping under the speed dial. Bent back into position, both 1/50 and 1/25 are now working again.

Thank you to everyone for providing help!

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 132

Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info. I have never experienced that one and it is good to know for future "issues" one may find.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration