Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Signet 35 -tools needed for adj... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Kodak Signet 35 -tools needed for adjusting rangefinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert_bruce
Tinkerer
Username: Robert_bruce

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had two Kodak Signet 35's repaired and everything seems fine except the rangefinder is inaccurate. The infinity setting is incorrect on both cameras.

What size Phillips screwdriver and allen wrench do I need to adjust the infinity setting?

Thanks.

Upnorthw
Tinkerer
Username: Upnorthw

Post Number: 24

Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The allen wrench is a .050. I think I use a Whia PH0x50 phillips but it may be the next smaller one.

Robert_bruce
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. I really appreciate the help.

I live in NYC and wonder if there is someone who could show me the best routine to follow in removing the top of the camera and adjusting the rangefinder. I don't want to do anything beyond that and will leave other repair and maintenance to someone who has experience in working with the camera.

Is anyone offering classes/training to work on Kodak Signet 35's?

Robert_bruce
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Upnorthw,

I ordered a Wiha slotted and Phillips screwdriver set, plus a Wiha Mini Inch Hex L-Key set.

I wouldn't have been able to take these first steps without your help.

Thanks again.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 261

Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I have a factory original repair manual for this. I might be able to scan and e-mail if I get an e-mail address to send it to.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 133

Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found Dan Mitchells info extremely helpful in redoing my Signet 35.

http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=signet35&WEBMGR=fb565eddd539286b4f17947 8aa81be14

Good Luck

Garyflorida
Tinkerer
Username: Garyflorida

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm doing the exact same thing right now but I have no manual either.The Dan mitchell info is good but it does not show use of the adjustment screws on the front of the focus ring, removal of the lens tube, gears, aperture blades etc. A full manual would be awesome.

Robert_bruce
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to thank Upnorthw. This past weekend I finally used the tools he recommended, the Allen wrench set and the Whia phillips set (I bought at Amazon) and successfully adjusted and corrected the RF's Infinity settings on two Signet 35's. Both cameras then were also very accurate at 8,4, and 3 feet.
The test rolls look good, but I'd like to check the plane of focus. What is the process you follow? I assume you use a ground glass, but exactly how to use it?

Again many thanks.

Robert

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 541

Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When using the ground glass focusing method, you need to make sure that

1; The glass is in the focal plane. If there are more than one set of film rails in the camera, the inner rails are the film plane. If you set the ground glass on the outer rails, then your focus will be off by whatever the difference is in height between the inner and outer rails.

2; Make sure the ground side of the glass faces towards the lens. Other materials that can be used are a piece of hard plastic casing, like from a CD, with the film plane side roughed up with some fine sandpaper. Also, you can cut up a blister pack, and put some Scotch tape on the film plane side. And if you have an SLR that is junk, you can strip out the focusing screen, and put the fresnel side to the film plane.

Generic Instructions for Front Cell Focusing Cameras

To set the focus, you loosen the set screws on the focusing ring of the lens (don't remove them, as they are tiny, hard to get back in, and easy to lose), then take the focusing ring off. Aiming the camera at something that is more than 100 feet away, you open the shutter on B (a locking cable release comes in handy), and looking through the ground glass that you have placed in the film plane (a loupe, or magnifying glass is recommended for this), focus the front element on the ground glass. Without disturbing the front element, replace the focusing ring at infinity, and tighten the set screws.

Then check your rangefinder to see if it agrees with the lens focus markings at various distances. If not, then you will need to reset the rangefinder infinity setting.

For a unit focusing camera, usually all that is needed is for the rangefinder to be adjusted, as the lens unit is in a fixed position on the mount, and any variances can be aleviated by setting the rangefinder properly.

Good luck, Robert.

PF

Robert_bruce
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the good information. Currently I'm shooting test shots on the Signet 35's, but I have a ground glass from a old Rolleiflex that may be usable to check the focal plane accuracy. I also have an old CD-casing I can sand and try. Will let you know what I find.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1302

Posted on Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 04:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another thing you can do is stretch a strip of frosted cellophane tape across the film rails... or stick some onto a small piece of glass (microscope slides work well, or a piece of the CD casing). It gives a pretty good focusing surface.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration