Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex front panel removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleiflex front panel removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikevernon
Tinkerer
Username: Mikevernon

Post Number: 25

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anybody advise me please?

I'd like to remove the front panel of my Rolleiflex 3.5F to access and clean the lens and shutter.

I know the holding screws are underneath the leather coverings, but I think I also need to remove the retaining rings for the shutter release and flash socket lock. How do I do this?

Also the flash synchro lever? Do I need to remove this, and if so, how?

Finally, do I need to set the focus, shutter speed and aperture to any particular setting before removing the panel to aid re-assembly?

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 134

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you haven't stumbled across this, it may be of assistance. The Rollei is toward the bottom.

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/repairmanuals.html

Also Rick Oleson has some info here on Rollei innards.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-158.html

Hopefully someone will answer you with more specific information. I cleaned my old Rolleicord shutter, but it is a far simpler camera than the F.

Good Luck

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 246

Posted on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you will need to remove retaining ring on the flash cord lock lever with a small spanner. Settings on the shutter, aperture, and focus are unimportant on removal of the front cover. However, settings on re-installing the front plate are critical. When the front plate is removed, you will notice a differential assembly. This is what connects the shutter and aperture to the meter. It can be a quite frustrating exercise to align the differential and the shutter/aperture gears together. If you search the archives, there should be some info that I posted a while back on this alignment of the differential.

Mikevernon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 26

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2013 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks to Denny and BR for the helpful suggestions. That little differential does sound a bit intimidating, but do I actually need to disturb it? All I want to do is unscrew the front element of the lens to clean it and to access the shutter to very gently clean it. I found your earlier thread, BR, and noticed that you suggested setting the camera to 1/500 an f22 for reassembly, but i'm sure I've read elsewhere that the aperture should be set to the maximum (f3.5). Perhaps it will be obvious when I actually see it.

Perhaps I should tackle one of the other Rolleiflexes first. I have a 2.8E with a shutter which has stuck in the not-quite-closed position.

One more thing. I've just noticed that one of my cameras is missing the retaining ring for the flash socket. Is it the same part as the retaining ring for the shutter release button, and does anybody have any idea where i might get hold of one?

Mikevernon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 27

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2013 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks to Denny and BR for the helpful suggestions. That little differential does sound a bit intimidating, but do I actually need to disturb it? All I want to do is unscrew the front element of the lens to clean it and to access the shutter to very gently clean it. I found your earlier thread, BR, and noticed that you suggested setting the camera to 1/500 an f22 for reassembly, but i'm sure I've read elsewhere that the aperture should be set to the maximum (f3.5). Perhaps it will be obvious when I actually see it.

Perhaps I should tackle one of the other Rolleiflexes first. I have a 2.8E with a shutter which has stuck in the not-quite-closed position.

One more thing. I've just noticed that one of my cameras is missing the retaining ring for the flash socket. Is it the same part as the retaining ring for the shutter release button, and does anybody have any idea where i might get hold of one?

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 247

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2013 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The E series Rolleiflex cameras are a bit easier to service when it comes to front panel removal because they lack the differential that is used on the F model for meter cross coupling. Once you remove the front panel, the differential coupling with the meter racks will be disturbed and will need to be re-set. 1/500 and f/22 are the settings when the racks are moved to the bottom of their travel.

If you need any parts for your camera, please PM me as I have most of the common parts as NOS for Rolleiflex TLR cameras.
Bill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration