Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Size of Mirrors for Brownie No. 2 Mod... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Size of Mirrors for Brownie No. 2 Model F? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mastersr
Tinkerer
Username: Mastersr

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Just got a "new" Brownie No. 2 Model F - it's in decent shape, the shutter works, the camera seems to be in good condition. Only problem: the mirrors are gone, totally missing. I saw some old postings on creating replacements for these Brownie viewfinder mirrors. My question is, what is the precise size the mirrors need to be?

Also, someone mentioned using some sort of reflective paper instead of actual mirror glass - this is attractive to me only because I work with my hands for a living, and am always a little paranoid about dealing with shards of glass. Cutting paper sounds a little safer!

Thank you! Any advice would be appreciated.

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 62

Posted on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Find a Polaroid, the kind that spits the picture out the front, for $0.25 at a garage sale and wreck it for the front surface mirror. It cuts into about 20 little mirrors for these old box cameras.

I have refurbed several 120 box cameras for my collection. I have them from 00 size to big as a bread box!

I've never cut myself cutting glass. Be careful, it's sharp. I've even cut glass to make knives for cutting electron microscope specimens! Broken glass is damn sharp!

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 321

Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 04:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are various dodges for making mirrors - I found some little mirror glass tiles in a craft shop for 99p, they were very confused as to why I was happy to take the pack with a broken one in, and cut them myself with a glass cutter. Fiddly, especially in big gloves, but do-able. You could use a polished metal surface if you can find something you can cut it with - Ensign Ful-Vues used a metal mirror. Whatever it is, it will need to be flat - I imagine that might be a problem with reflective paper.

I have a knackered mirror to hand which I THINK came out of a No2 Model F, and it is 20mm by 14mm - though you could always cut pieces of paper until you get one that fits the slot, then use those measurements. However, I don't think a mm or two either way wil matter as long as it fits the slot - given that they're just set in grooves IIRC I honestly don't think that getting the size excactly that of the originals is a problem.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 99

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kodak didn't spend the extra hundredth of a cent on front-surfaced mirrors for the reflex finders in the Brownies, or most of their other cameras. They were perfectly ordinary rear-surface mirrors, on thin (single sheet?) glass.

Cut them as large as fit in the little wooden wedges. Glue it in with Pliobond. It will fall out in 50 years just like the original!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration