Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh 500 me. is auto exposure working? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Ricoh 500 me. is auto exposure working? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gianalogic
Tinkerer
Username: Gianalogic

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I have a Ricoh 500 me but can't understand if the auto mode is working as it should.
If I set auto(letter A) and point the camera at a light bulb for example, I see the needle going toword f11.
What I don't get is this:
do I need to change the shutter speed or the camera will choose one for me?
(if for example the aperture is 5.6 and shutter is set at 60 will the camera fire at 5.6 and 1/60 or ignore my setting and choose a different shutter speed?

I am asking this because I noticed that somehow auto aperture and shutter speed are not related. (I can choose 1/8 and 1/500 on the shutter ring and the automatic aperture does not change but I can hear the difference in time from the sound and see through the camera).

Please someone explain, reading the manual didn't help either. It says I need to choose shutter (WHAT'S THE POINT THEN IN HAVING AN AUTO MODE?)

It's the first semi auto camera I have (I used a yashica fx-3 that is all manual with a built in lightmeter made of 3 leds)
I am testing this without film inside.

Aerowoof
Tinkerer
Username: Aerowoof

Post Number: 65

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2013 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you set the shutter speed the camera should choose the correct aperture setting.you choose the shutter speed by using the guide in the manual as reference.

Aerowoof
Tinkerer
Username: Aerowoof

Post Number: 66

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2013 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you set the shutter speed the camera should choose the correct aperture setting.you choose the shutter speed by using the guide in the manual as reference.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 484

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2013 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's known as "Shutter Priority Automatic", which means you set the shutter speed, the camera sets the aperture. Aperture Priority works just the opposite. If you want a camera that sets both shutter and aperture, you need to look for one that has a "Program Automatic" mode.

When you were setting the aperture and shutter speed yourself, then you were in "Manual" mode. This is useful for when your battery conks out on you, and you can then use Sunny-16 exposure calculation to keep shooting photos.

Take time to read the manual carefully, and go through all the different settings without film in the camera, so you can get used to the way it functions.

PF

Gianalogic
Tinkerer
Username: Gianalogic

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2013 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I find strange is that even changing the shutter speed the aperture remains the same. Shouldn't the camera compensate opening and closing the aperture if I lower or increse the aperture?

I put the camera sitting on a table, point the light straight into it and open the film compartment. I am sitting there and looking at the shutter.I choose a shutter speed and fire. record the aperture, now I increase or lower the shutter speed but the aperture stays the same.
the diaphram should block but does not.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 153

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well that doesn't sound like its working properly.
Check the battery and that the meter is working ok. Set the aperture scale to M and the shutter speed to 1/100. Point the light at the sensor, operate the shutter, the aperture should be narrow. Turn the light away leaving the sensor in shadow, operate the shutter, the aperture should open up. The size of the aperture will not change until the shutter is fired. You will need to be looking through the lens when you fire the shutter.

Cheers
Greg Nixon

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 487

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need to be a bit clearer on your explanation of what is happening. Are you saying the meter reading never changes, or that the aperture itself never changes? And is this happening in Auto, or Manual mode?

When I put my 500G on Auto without a battery in the camera, it closes down to f16, then opens up as I depress the shutter release. This is looking at it from the front. I'm thinking the ME has a similar arrangement.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration