Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Taming the "Dreaded Paxette advance L... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Taming the "Dreaded Paxette advance Lever" Thanks to the forum !! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer
Username: Hi_country_flash

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2013 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought a Paxette II ( I guess it is--- the actual time line on these is a bit suspect) Snagged it for 10 bucks on an auction site that shall remain unnamed . It had a jammed advance lever , I had taken several Paxettes apart , but never one with a lever advance , only the knob type.
"Hmmmm== Lets see , I'll just remove this screw here and"------- SPROING!!! Parts and springs and pieces flew everywhere!!!
Only after I did a search , did I find that the first piece of advice given here about this LEVER was -- "Whatever you do --DON'T Mess with THAT screw!! " Seems as how several folks had the same experience I did and most now had a pile of parts in the junk box!
Already having more than enough "junk box cameras" I was desperate for help -- a google search turned up two posts on our beloved forum with help ! The first was an explanation by Winifred on how to reassemble the beast, number two was by Steve S and included a PICTURE!
The Picture was the lifesaver, because it showed a little Pawl that is an essential primary part of the system, one that I did not even know existed because it had flown to oblivion when the thing exploded. Now began a search for the missing pawl, the entire room was gone over , a powerful magnet employed to ferret out the tiny part--- all to no avail. Having resigned my self to having to file a pawl from brass or stainless , I was answering an E mail when I felt a jab in my finger as I typed , looking for the source of the irritation , there was the missing part -- STUCK to my fingertip!! Talk about scarlet ribbons!
Now with all the parts in hand ( no pun that ?),
I was able ,because of a couple of fine forum members, to save my camera! Thanks Steve and Winifred. I also discovered a way to get the lever off without the "explosion" -- after putting it back on the first time , the spring tension was not enough, it had to be adjusted, what I did then was to loosen THAT screw slightly , just enough to slip an exacto blade between the two pieces of the lever and base. I then lifted it up just enough to slip the points of a very thin hemostat in and lock the assembly together as it came off.
This worked well.
Now that this Paxette is "saved" I want to ask you folks who ended up with one in the junk box if you still have some pieces of them hanging around . This 'saved" Paxette has something wrong with it that I have never seen before , the flash shoe, which is one of the type that is a steel insert screwed into the camera top, has had the "lip" that the attachment slides under broken off , leaving just a "U" shaped channel that will hold nothing in place. Any chance one of our members has one that I can beg , buy , borrow or steal?

Thanks Dave

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration