Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikkormat FT2 problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikkormat FT2 problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rtucker
Tinkerer
Username: Rtucker

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2013 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just picked up a nikkormat FT2, and found out the asa ring was frozen in place and would not move. Also the film counter is not moving. I have been trying to do some repairs myself and wonder if this is something I could try to fix myself. Anyone have any how to advice out there.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 158

Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is an ASA lock tab on the end of the shutter speed lever. To change ASA, pull the lock tab outwards and slide the ASA indicator to its new setting.
The film counter needs the back closed and loaded with film to work. Try again with both of those conditions.
An old FT2 will likely need the foam seals replaced, available from John Goodman. Have a look under the articles tab for comprehensive instructions.
The FT2 is a relatively complex mechanical SLR. If this is your first camera repair it would be wise to purchase a repair manual from one of the on-line vendors.
Cheers
Greg Nixon

Rtucker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2013 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your reply. The asa ring locking tab worked great, I didnt know it was there I have nikkormat FTNs and just thought they worked the same. The film counter still doesnt work even with film in it. I have a Nikon repair manual for the nikkormat, it has lots of diagrams, and a parts list, but doesnt tell you how to fix things, or where the problem is. Im still interested in trying to fix it myself but I will wait and find some more info before taking the top plate off.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 112

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2013 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This might help:

http://www.nicovandijk.net/nikkormat.htm

Rtucker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2013 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have looked at this site but worry once I get to that point I wouldnt know what to do?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 491

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2013 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it just not advancing from a particular spot, or is it always at "S"? In other words, is it stuck on one number, or at S?

If it's always at S, it could just be that the reset lever is hung up with some old gummy seal crumb, and just needs to be cleaned out.

If it's always on one number, then the mechanism is jammed. Once you take the top off, you will be able to see the levers that work the counter, and by observing the action when you wind the advance, may be able to determine which part is hung up where.

Or you might find a spring that has popped off it's securing point, allowing the pawl to lay away from the gear.

You just never know until you pop the top.

PF

Rtucker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the help the Nikkormat is clicking away. I got the counter working, there was a small spring that popped off. Had to use my magnifiers to see it, but was easy to get back on once I saw it. Thanks again

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 493

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're quite welcome.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration