Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

EOS 50mm 1.8 II Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » EOS 50mm 1.8 II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Casual_collector
Tinkerer
Username: Casual_collector

Post Number: 19

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just reassembled my plastic fantastic after an epoxy repair to the focus ring drive pegs. Problem is, the inner assembly is not secured in the outer housing. I think the two reinforcement rings are the issue. I have the Canon parts diagram but I am not getting any clues from it. Anyone have experience with this?

Casual_collector
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a difference a break makes. I went back and looked at the reinforcing rings again and found the subtle differences between the two. I had them stacked in the correct order but did not notice that the first to go on the outer housing needed to be twisted a few degrees clockwise to lock it in place. Stacking on the second ring, then assembling the innards to the housing and twisting the focus ring counter-clockwise locks the assembly together. Repair successful.

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 75

Posted on Friday, March 01, 2013 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your perfectly right, but still thre is a hitch. In use these rings(which are actually locking rings) can turn and the inner lense assy can slipout without warning. I have had such an experince.
I glued the inner ring in positoon. You will never need to remove the inner one evennif u have to strip it again.

I follwed this procedure to glue it. After ensuring that this ring is seated inits correct place I turned it a bit anticlockwise so that the portion which goes behind tab gets exposed. Just added a drop of instant glue and quickly turned it clockwise. That should be its final permanent positon.

Casual_collector
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Friday, March 01, 2013 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration