Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to remove screw stump after drill... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » How to remove screw stump after drilling? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bruce_robbins
Tinkerer
Username: Bruce_robbins

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had to drill the head off a chewed up screw on the lens mount and I'm now left with little more than 2mm of stump protruding from the lens body. I've tried getting a firm hold with a pair of pliers but wasn't too successful. Since I'll only have a couple of goes to remove the screw before the stump breaks, is there a better way of doing it?

Zombicams
Tinkerer
Username: Zombicams

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get a Dremel with a thin cutting disc, cut a slot into the stump, remove with screwdriver.

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer
Username: Hi_country_flash

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it is as small as most lens mount screws, a Dremel disk ( .025 thick) will be far too much, and will probably not help. If there is a Dental lab. near you , contact them and see if they have a cutting disk from Keystone that is thinner , some are made that are as little as .005 thick.
Could you possibly solder a "handle" on the screw stump at right angles to it?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1054

Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What lens is this? The thread type is all important - ie in the Canon nFD mount the radial retaining screws have a thread type that binds in the drilling, thus the stump will not rotate freely. On the other hand in screws that have a normally cut or rolled thread, once the head is cut off all tightening torque is removed and the stump should be free to rotated. You should apply some heat via a large soldering iron, before applying the pliers - the pliers should have the end ground off to produce perfectly even and aligned jaw ends.

Bruce_robbins
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lots of good advice here. Thanks very much. The stump is only about 3mm in diameter - it's an OM lens. There was a small hole in the middle of it from drilling. I pinched the stump to try to deform the hole into a slot that would take a small screwdriver but the "walls" aren't strong enough to take the torque. It's looking very much as if I wont be able to unscrew it now and might have to think about drilling the stump out. Don't fancy that at all and don't have the equipment either.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 298

Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Best bet is drilling the stump all the way through using a drill that is slightly smaller that the screw. Once you get through then using a dental pick you cna remove the walls left n that will expose the threads..

you'll need ot chase the old threaded hole out with a tap or use a new screw wit the tip grount to a point as a starter.

Aerowoof
Tinkerer
Username: Aerowoof

Post Number: 75

Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a similar problem but not on a camera and was able to find an allenwrench that would just fit inside the hole and used some thick super glue and let it cure for 24 hours even tho it was supposed to be instant so to speak and i was able to unscrew it .

One90guy
Tinkerer
Username: One90guy

Post Number: 42

Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you use vicergrip pliers. I have one that is needle nosed. Good luck, wish I had better advice.

Bruce_robbins
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 03:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aerowoof,
Might try your allen key approach - certainly nothing to lose! Thanks for that.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 495

Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A left hand drill bit is best for removing screw stumps. After that, a "back-out" works good. Lastly, what Paul_ron said. A drop of acetone on the stump should loosen most thread locker glues.

PF

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1284

Posted on Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ditto Br... I picked up a set of small left-hand drill bits at Harbor Freight pretty cheap. With a LH drill, when it starts to bit it will tend to loosen the screw rather than tighten it. Start small and work your way up until it either backs out or get so thin that you can pick it out.

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 78

Posted on Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try this. Find a rod abt the size of the drill u use that will go in to the hole. Apply Araldite(Ciba) or similar compund to glue the the rod in the hole. Once it setts ater 24 hrs you can handle it as you like. If you can trasmit some vibrations to the lense such as from a beard trimmer it might make it easier to get loosend
while you try to take it out.

I did try some similar methods on a bigger bolts where icd weld a 8mm rod inside a hole to take out the stuck broken bolts inside threaded holes.
I did try out gluing some thing to get better hold of small scres too.

Premoutshine
Tinkerer
Username: Premoutshine

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, March 11, 2013 - 06:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was facing the kind of same problem .Thank you folks for lovely suggestions. :-)

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 79

Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did use this technique when i accedentally dropped a ball in to the hole presumeing thre is spring inside but it wasnt. The ball was less than a millimeter, thought it was llose inside it was inacccesible. I aapplied a trace of instagluie to the tip of a wire and pulled it up. Bu this is a case where no force was needed to pull it out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration