Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Tamron 80-210mm/3.8 zoom Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Tamron 80-210mm/3.8 zoom « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Arfd
Tinkerer
Username: Arfd

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has a member of the forum worked on Tamron zoom Model 103A? In its day this model had a good reputation but my one requires the moving optics to be accessed for cleaning.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 235

Posted on Friday, March 08, 2013 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Tamron 80-210 still has a very good reputation. It's seen a rebirth of interest by the many DSLR users who are now adding manual focus lenses to their inventory. But clean examples can still be picked up for reasonable sums, so if yours' condition is hopeless, at least you can pick up another for cheap.

I have a fungus-riddled Tamron 80-210 that I partially disassembled in an attempt to get at the fungus. In my lens's case, it was in the front group area. The problem I ran into is my lens spanner wasn't up to the job. The first retaining ring I encountered was extremely tight and my spanner just would not maintain a good grip. I did eventually get the ring off. It held in place a single thin element. Beneath that element lay the front group I suppose you'd call it. Another retaining ring holds this in place. And that was as far as I got. It was even tighter than the previous ring and my spanner was gouging out the slots, so I just called it quits. The lens was given to me anyway, so no loss for me.

I don't think it is normal for the retaining rings to be that tight. Given the amount of fungus in the lens's interior, I suspect it was stored in a humid location for years, and if this is the case, then perhaps there is some corrosion in the ring grooves also. I ddn't see any evidence of this, though. I tried using some naphtha as solvent on the threads to see if that would ease things, but it didn't make a difference.

So my advice: if you don't already have a stout lens spanner, get one before you take on this task. And if you have to tear into the lens further than the front group, just take your time, be patient, take pics of the disassembly as you go along.

Arfd
Tinkerer
Username: Arfd

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, March 18, 2013 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your advice, but I managed to open the lens quite easily by removing the outer focus tube, in my case there was no need to remove the front glass individually. My problem is removing and resetting the 2 zooming groups. This looks near to impossible without a detailed schematic. These diagrams must exist but I suspect professional repairers are keeping them close to their chest!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration