Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 intermittent shutter button Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon AE-1 intermittent shutter button « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 422

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an AE-1 which is acting strangely. The shutter will only fire when the shutter button is "stabbed" quickly. When the button is pressed slowly (as it should be), the shutter does not fire. I have removed the top and tried to clean all of the contacts and it still does not operate as it should.
There seems to be three contacts on top of one another. When the first contact is pressed, the meter actuates. As the other two contacts are depressed, the shutter fires. With my example, when the top contact is pressed, the meter operates, but when the others are pressed the shutter will not fire. If I manually press just the bottom two contacts, the shutter will fire.
I'm not sure how to proceed, but I do have a donor camera for parts. Any ideas?

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 255

Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had many AE-1 cameras come into the shop with this symptom. In every case, it was a power supply (battery) issue. Pressing the shutter button slowly pulls 17ma of current from the battery and with some batteries this is enough to drop battery voltage below the minimum voltage needed for shutter release.
Bill

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 423

Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Problem solved! I thought I was using a fresh battery, but it was an older one that was the same colour. I can't believe I didn't think to check that myself.
Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration