Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon QL17 Meter Issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon QL17 Meter Issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Clivec
Tinkerer
Username: Clivec

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This question was previously posted at RFF, but I thought I'd get the input from here as well.

I managed to find a "fully working" QL17 GIII on the 'Bay and while the aperture and shutter seem to work fine, the meter seems a bit odd, at least based on what I'm used to.

Battery light turns on when battery check button is pressed. Camera came with the PX625A, which I understand is too much power for the camera.

When I put the camera to my eye, the needle does not move to changing light conditions. The Olympus 35 RD is the same way (it meters on half press). When I half press, the meter seems to want to move, but sometimes it takes several half presses to change the reading. Other times, the meter reading does not change, even though it's very evidently incorrect.

Although a half press on the Canonet actuates the aperture, it doesn't seem to go to the right one. Going down from 1/500 to 1/8 I can change the shutter speed and keep half pressing the shutter but the aperture doesn't change. As soon as I hit 1/4, the aperture stops down to what looks like f16 (which is correct).

To sum up:
- Meter in viewfinder is "sticky"
- Aperture response is tempermental

I think it would be fine to shoot manually, but anybody have any ideas about the meter? All the testing was done indoors using interior lights. No film in camera.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 426

Posted on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the camera is set to "A", the meter needle should constantly change with different light levels. When the shutter release is pressed half-way, this locks the exposure. The movement you see with the half press is the needle being locked.
With the camera not on "A", the meter should be inoperative. You may have something physically obstructing the needle.
The aperture blades may need to be cleaned.

Clivec
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The aperture blades seem free enough, however the needle does not move at all to changing light levels. I suspect you may be right about a stuck needle.

Clivec
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more question, on a proerly working camera, does the needle move smoothly through the range or does it jerk from reading to reading?

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 427

Posted on Friday, March 15, 2013 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The needle should move smoothly. Are you sure you are getting power to the meter?

Clivec
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, March 15, 2013 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tested with a 675 zinc air 1.4V battery that I use in an Olympus 35RD. On the RD it's fine, but I suppose it's about a month old since I broke the air seal. The camera came with a PX625A battery that seemed to be worse for the meter.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration