Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE2 broken lens release Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon FE2 broken lens release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Yannick
Tinkerer
Username: Yannick

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey everyone,
Recently bought an FE2 off ebay, but it has a couple problems, I've contacted the seller and will be seeing what can be done.

Unfortunately one of the problems seems to be a broken lens release. I put a lens I had lying around on it (35-70 F 3.3-4.5 AF), and now it's stuck. Depressing the lens release does nothing, the lens stays completely in place, so I guess the little piece of metal isn't retracting.

Obviously this is a real problem if I'm gonna return the body. Is there anything that can be done aside from completely dismantling the camera?

Thanks.

Yannick
Tinkerer
Username: Yannick

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I completely overlooked the obvious solution to this. There's a little cutout that lets you manually depress the prong.

Thought I'd post this incase anyone else ever has the same problem, rather than delete the thread.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 104

Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm confused by this post. I have a few FE,FE2,FM,FM2,FA bodies (great cameras that are seriously undervalued these days). I don't see a "cutout". Is that something on, and specific to, their lens?

Glad the OP got his/her lens off.

Sillyconguru
Tinkerer
Username: Sillyconguru

Post Number: 47

Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cut-out is just visible when a (AI/AI-S/AI-P/AF/AF-D) lens is mounted; look closely at the part of the mount by the lens release button (with the aperture set a couple of stops off maximum) and you should see the locking pin. This doesn't work with pre-AI lenses due to the shape of the aperture ring.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 511

Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hollenbj, if you look at the back of any Nikon mount lens, you will see a slot at the 9:00 position (matching the mount locking pin at 3:00 if looking at the camera mount). This is where the mount locking pin goes when the lens is mounted. On an AI lens, you can access this slot from the side in case your mount locking pin gets stuck, as in Yannick's case. A small screwdriver usually does the trick.

But on a non/AI bayonet, as Sillycongaru points out, the aperture ring extends beyond the edge of the bayonet, and blocks access to the slot.

PF

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 105

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2013 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha! At maximum aperture...I see it. I never knew. How many years have I spent with these cameras? We won't say.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration