Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Shutter Self-Timer Reassembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Shutter Self-Timer Reassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lgdavis
Tinkerer
Username: Lgdavis

Post Number: 35

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I’m working on a 1962 rangefinder – a Taron Marquis - with a Citizen MVL shutter, and I have a problem with the shutter’s self-timer. The model of the camera or the shutter I don’t think are particularly important here as the self-timer looks about like any other in basic design – a base plate and a top plate that hold the timer gears between them and posts on either end that establish the spacing between the base and cover. My problem is I mistakenly loosened one of the screws that hold the cover on, which made the gears come loose – their shafts coming out of the holes in the cover. I was able to coax all but one of the gear shafts back into their holes in the cover as the cover had not been removed only loosened on one end. The last gear, though, popped out in the eprocess. Now, short of taking the top completely off and trying to simultaneously line up six tiny gear shafts into tiny holes – which seems to be impossible – I don’t know what to do. Have any of you ever had to reassemble a self-timer and how can one do that? In the factory they surely had a tool that held the gears in place while the base and top were attached. But now? Help.
Thanks, Larry
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 75

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, believe me I know what it means you realize too late that a particular screw (usually differently colored, either blueish steel or mat chrome) should have left untouched.
It is possible, however, even for rather inexperienced repair people, to completely dismantle and reassemble a self-timer array. What you need is time, a well-lit quiet room and PATIENCE by two.
The line-up of the gears is quite logical as you can see when you look at it in its present state. If you loosen the cover a bit, so that it is still possible to move about the gears individually and work with special care, that is without too much force, the whole thing is not half as difficult as it seems at first. It took me ages and quite a number of attemps, but with the help of wooden toothpicks and a fine pair of tweezers it is definitely possible to get everything back together again. I hope this helps, and don't loose your temper, I wish you good luck.
The Marquis is notorious for a very delicate light meter, both in electrical and in mechanical respect. Except the shutter and the excellent lens the whole camera is miles off a cntemporary Canonet or Hi-Matic.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration