Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Is this camera repairable? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Is this camera repairable? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Watson8715
Tinkerer
Username: Watson8715

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was given a camera, a Canon A-1. The rewind knob is missing. I can hear something rattling around inside of the film compartment. Is this something that is repairable? Do you have an estimation of about how much a repair run me?

Aerowoof
Tinkerer
Username: Aerowoof

Post Number: 80

Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a nikon fe that had the rewind knob off of it but included.it was an eay fix.the rattle inside may be the fork for the film cartritges hope it didn't damage the shutter.can you open the back?if not you may be able to insert a wire that has a hook bend on the end to engage the door lock and get it open.i/ve seen rewind knobs for sale somewhere but am drawing a blank at the moment

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 267

Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the rewind knob is missing then the shaft it was attached to probably slid down into the camera and that is what is rattling. If you can pop open the back as recommended by Aerowoof then you can shove the shaft back up through the hole and attach another rewind knob from any other camera that will fit if you can't get an original.

It might make sense to put a battery in the camera and see if it works before investing time in it.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 257

Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you get the back open and fix the rewind shaft issue, PM me and I can supply original rewind knob for your camera.
Thanks.
Bill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration