Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet QL17 GIII - replacement shutt... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canonet QL17 GIII - replacement shutter speed ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leigh
Tinkerer
Username: Leigh

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I think I can guess from searching on this forum that there must be a few of you out there with a "parts" Canonet or 2 sitting in pieces in a tupperware. Specifically the QL17 GIII.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with a replacement shutter speed ring. It's part Y13-5277 on pg4 of the repair manual from this site. It's the black ring with the shutter speeds on it and a thin metal arm that extends perpendicularly close to 1 inch.

I recently bought a QL17 GIII on ebay that is in great condition. I mean I had to unstick the shutter of course and then the shutter speed ring would only turn a few stops. Then when I changed the aperture I felt something break. I got into the camera and found that the little arm that protrudes from the shutter speed ring was detached and bent. I bent it straight and tried to seat it in the ring again, but it was too lose now.

So that's why I'm looking for another one. I'm hoping I don't need to pay between $25-$40 or so for a whole camera when I really only need the ring.

I'm watching a few auctions, but if someone has a ring they're willing to sell me, let me know.

Thanks!

Oystersmack
Tinkerer
Username: Oystersmack

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had this same problem a few weeks ago and after some investigating I managed to re-fix the detached actuator arm to the speed ring

It's possibly a weak spot in the design of the lens. I recall reading somewhere that this actuator arm is blocked in certain configurations with the shutter cocked, and so you should only move the speed ring if the shutter is not cocked. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!

If you are resigned to finding a replacement ring, and you have already opened the lens to be able to get at the broken piece, then you possibly have nothing to lose by trying the following........and I should say here that on my camera the arm broke away from the plastic ring with the rivets still firmly fixed to the arm.

I loosely re-assembled them and then held the ensemble very very gently in a pair of adjustable "Vise Grips" type locking pliers. I then held the locked pliers vertically and very firmly, in a bench vise, so that the plastic speed ring was horizontal, the metal arm was vertically downwards underneath it, and the 2 brass rivets securing the metal arm to the ring were facing upwards and through the ring.

The idea of all this was to be able to support the back of the rivets, (on the metal arm side of the ring)against something flat, solid and immovable, (the flat and square front edge of the jaws of the adjustable Vise Grips) and then to be able to use a very fine and sharp centre punch to splay the rivet ever so slightly. It only took some fairly light impacts on the rivet to secure the ring in place

The key to success is to be very careful to make sure that there is absolutely zero movement whatsoever between the rivet and the square face of the Vise Grip jaw front, which is playing the part of an anvil in this little adventure.

I spent quite a few minutes adjusting everything so that the min amount of tension was applied by the Vise Grips, to not bend the metal actuator arm or split the plastic ring. The Vise Grips clamping tension on the metal arm is almost nil, just enough to hold the arm and plastic ring in such a position that the brass rivets are flush and tight to the forward face of the jaws of the Vise Grips. Great care has to be exercised or you risk splitting the plastic ring.

If yours has detached in a different manner then you'll have to adjust how you proceed, but I'm happy to be able to say that having taken the unwelcome opportunity that this disaster presented, to thoroughly CLA my '17', it has been performing better than it ever did before.

"Needs must when the Devil drives", which very appropriately the Clown says in "All's Well that Ends Well"....by Shakespear.

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer
Username: Hi_country_flash

Post Number: 38

Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have a spare speed ring , but perhaps another way to repair one broken as the two posts here are.
Oystersmack: your approach to the repair is in the right direction, however , the black speed ring is aluminum , not plastic which makles things a bit easier. I thought it was plastic as well, because it is black , but discovered it is not by virtue of my first "fix" failing. Like the first poster, my "arm" that had torn out of the ring and was bent,. straightening it was no problem , but putting it back in its mount was. The "rivets --pins?" which had been swedged to hold it in place had pulled out of the ring and would not fit back in their mounting holes. I elected to file the pins just a tiny bit till they would fit back in, and thinking the ring was plastic, decided the safest way was some super glue. that did not work! When I put it in place to test , it promptly broke loose the glue joint, when I started to clean off the glue with an exacto, I discovered the ring was METAL! Rats , it's aluminum and that won't solder , but the arm is brass and it will!
After a bit of thought , I tried a new approach , using a .093 (3/32) drill bit , I counter sunk the holes in the top side of the ring, put the arm in the holes , clamped it in place with a hemostat and with a solder gun put solder on top of the "pins" in the arm. Then using a grinding disk in my Dremel , I carefully ground ( a bit at a time so as not to melt the solder) till the solder was flat and would not interfere with any sliding parts. Put it all back together and everything worked just dandy!

Tomw
Tinkerer
Username: Tomw

Post Number: 25

Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If only I'd seen this earlier! I had a QL for parts, but wound up selling it at a yard sale in early March. Another place you may look for a parts camera is www.shopgoodwill.com. Same concept as ebay, but usually a bit cheaper (especially for parts cameras).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration