Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Franka Rolfix w/ broken Vario shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Franka Rolfix w/ broken Vario shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Iminphotos
Tinkerer
Username: Iminphotos

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 29, 2013 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just picked a Franka Rolfix camera with Vario shutter and a Steinheil Munchen Actinar, 1:4.5 - f-10.5 cm lens from late 30's. The shutter currently is not working properly and I am trying to get info on how to fix it.

Here is a link to photos of the camera over on Flickr: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEw7DRe

Also, below are a couple of photos.
Vario shutter
Vario shutter
Vario shutter

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 33

Posted on Friday, March 29, 2013 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you dismantled the shutter in the pictures?Because if you have'nt,there is a lot of the shutter missing.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 514

Posted on Friday, March 29, 2013 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm hoping that you have actually removed these missing parts before taking the photos (though there are no photos of the shutter when first opened up), as evidenced by the removal of the Speed Selector Lever.

You say it wasn't working properly, but you fail to mention just what the problem was. It looks like the shutter is functioning as well as it can without the missing speeds escapement, since you should have B with only the catch levers working.

I'm going out on a limb here, and surmise that you took out the escapement (and the Delay, if it has one) before thinking about taking some photos, and posting them here. That said, your problem was possibly just sticky/slow speeds? This is usually a factor of dirt getting into the gears of the escapement, and is normally taken care of by a bath in a good grade of naptha, or lighter fluid (Ronsonol). I prefer the Ronsonol because it comes in a smaller container with a convenient pour spout.

So, if you have the escapement out, place it in a plastic jar lid, drown it in Ronsonol, then manually work the gears (with some Nitile gloves on to protect your fingers) so that the lighter fluid can do its thing in all the notches on the gears. Then blow it dry with either an air bulb, or in front of a fan (you might hyperventilate trying to do it by lung pressure).

Reinstall it, and see if that doesn't cure your shutter problems. If you still have problems with it, please state exactly what the original symptoms were, and exactly what you did during the teardown.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration