Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica c35 wiring? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Konica c35 wiring? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 70

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm wondering whats wrong with my meter on my C35? I had corroded wires throughout and replaced them, now the meter gives false readings like pegged all the way up on an overcast day (1/640 @ f:14) It was hacked before I got it and I'm not sure if it is missing a key part. Is there supposed to be some kind of resistor between cds and the meter? Mine has none. If so what kind? Also a wiring diagram would be nice.

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 79

Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

.. the magic word is ARCHIVES, look here, for example: https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/25441.html

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 519

Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would depend on what type of battery you are using if a resistor is required. 675 zink-oxide should be okay, as they are just 1.4v. A 357 is too much at 1.5v.

PF

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 435

Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the meter is spiking, it could also mean a dead cds cell.

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 71

Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Neuberger, I did a search for "Konica C35 wiring" and must have missed that one, thanks)
(Br_ I'm using a 1.4 zinc air...)
This is why I'm so perplexed... At first, after the repair the meter was working fine. After sitting a few weeks, getting ready for a trip, I put the (same) battery in and the needle only went up just out of the red zone (1/30 sec) even pointed at my work light. I thought it might be a dying battery so I put in a 1.5 and it too sat there, all of a sudden (after re-inserting the 1.5 battery) it jumped up but not pegged, it was somewhat where it should be according the given light. I then switched back to the 1.4 and it was perfect. after a day or so I got the camera out to shoot and it was pegged full at just what was an EV 13 light situation. I fiddled around with the battery and it dropped again to proper setting. (I would take the battery, cap off, and put it in and out with my finger making the needle go up and down until it set properly) this led me to believe it needed to be "coaxed" for what ever reason because it does eventually work but what a pain... any ideas on what it could be? still a bad CDS?

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 80

Posted on Friday, April 05, 2013 - 04:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All the typical problems are mentioned in the thread, that is why I posted the link.
I have several of those cameras plus a number of its clones, and one of the C35s behaved exactly like the one you have. To be honest, I never really found the mistake, but as this particular camera was in very fine shape, I ripped out all the wires plus the photo resistor and put in new ones and a CdS-cell from a cosmetically shabby donor camera, from then on everything was, and still is, perfect. Wiggling and playing with the ripped out parts revealed several weaknesses in the cell itself, but not only the wires had broken strands inside, also the meter coil and its soldering joints showed intermitting contact, faulty parts are hard to trace inside a camera and soldering can go bad after decades. Although the C35 has a very solidly looking meter it is prone to developing issues, just like that in the Taron Marquis or of the early Minolta Hi-Matics.

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 72

Posted on Friday, April 05, 2013 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neuberger, throughout the articl, it is saying the CDS is the resistor,...(snip)"that go to the cds photo resistor"... and ..(snip)" identifying stampings on the CdS cell body before you do your search"...

You're saying CDS and resistor are 2 different things...(snip)"I ripped out all the wires plus the photo resistor and put in new ones and a CdS-cell"..., so what is correct? is there a resistor other than the CDS cell, or IS the CDS cell also the resistor? Some clarity would be of great help, thanks.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 520

Posted on Friday, April 05, 2013 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rich, the CdS Photocell is properly referred to as a photoresistor. The CdS name refers to what it is made of (Cd=Cadmium, S=Sulfide), with other types known by their physical make-up. Here's some light reading on the subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoresistor

Sometimes, when a higher voltage battery is used in the circuit, an additional resistor needs to be added to compensate for the extra voltage. So that would give you two resistors in series, with the second one preferably being an adjustable (potentiometer, or "pot") type, to be able to fine tune the circuit.

PF

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 73

Posted on Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Phill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration