Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon F1N knob stuck! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon F1N knob stuck! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lambertckw
Tinkerer
Username: Lambertckw

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello!

I have acquired a F1N lemon off the bay...
Upon inspection, I discovered that the 'normal hold light' knob will not turn with or without battery..
notice that this is not what it suppose to be.. i taking off the top cover but it seems quite complicated without the right tools.
all other function of the camera is great
so, do i have to take the top cover off to fix this?
what tools will i need?

since this is the only repair i need, I dont think i will send it in for cla just yet.

any advice will be appreciated!

Zanxion72
Tinkerer
Username: Zanxion72

Post Number: 25

Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 04:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you cannot move it at all, then it must be glued in place. Normally, turning it counter clock wise would unscrew it.

Lambertckw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

one more thing!
now the film winding shaft is stuck inside!
I cannot install the film winding knob !!
please help i am really frustrated..
thanks

Lambertckw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 04:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

why will they glued it to the normal mode... thats so redundant!

Zanxion72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 26

Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To get the film winding released have you tried to pop it out with the safety button depressed? If it cannot come up by pushing it up, try screwing in something on the other end and pull it up by keeping depressed the safety button at the same time.

It makes sense to glue it at the most commonly used position. Has it been knocked hard/ damaged on that area?

Lambertckw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yea I tried to press the silver safety button and pull it out with a tweezer.. but it wont work..

it doesnt seem like it has been knocked since there are no major dents in that area.. the scratches on the normal hold light knob is probably from the last owner trying to turn it

Lambertckw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is there a way to take off the left top plate?

Zanxion72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 29

Posted on Friday, April 05, 2013 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is relatively easy, but upon re-assembly you will have to re-seal several parts.
This might be of use to you in this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j45363sj4613khk/Canon%20F-1N%2C%20Service%20Manual.pdf

Lambertckw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, April 05, 2013 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that helps!
But how do I take the flash sync off?
I should be able to get the top off after this step

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 69

Posted on Friday, April 05, 2013 - 01:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello
The flash socket unscrews anti-clockwise, normally very tight, try using a rubber pad.
If that does not work.. then you will have to make a clamp out of a piece of alloy or hard plastic.
Doug

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 261

Posted on Friday, April 05, 2013 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In looking at your photo of the rewind shaft, it appears to be at a slight angle and this would explain some of the issues with the camera. This would be consistent with an impact to the rewind knob.

Lambertckw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, April 05, 2013 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello guys,

Now that the film door is closed and the rewind shaft is stuck inside the camera.. so the question is,
is there a way to open the film door without the rewind knob installed?
how do i take the shaft out?

thanks so much for all the help folks!

Zanxion72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 30

Posted on Monday, April 08, 2013 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have anything to screw on it to give you a grip pulling it out, and opening the film door?

Lambertckw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 03:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello zan
i have searched around my house but nothing seemcompatable.. i have tried tweezer but i am scared that it can distort or break the thin metal piece on the sharf..

i pushed down the safety button strangely its verydifficult to pull it out in respond to the strength applied

Zanxion72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 31

Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 01:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have in mind that it is not a soft one to pull up. It is a bit harder as on pro cameras Canon did everything to prevent accidental opening of the back cover.
If while pulling you don't feel any resistance from a spring or something like that, then there might be more missing from there.
Note that if this fails you will may have to peel off a bit of the cover on that side of the film cover, unscrew a couple of screws and release the back open.
Also, prior to doing this, remove the bottom plate and see if there is anything you can push to open the film cover.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1062

Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not know where you are located, but any half good model shop will have a length of studding that will screw into the shaft. Thread pitch may not be exactly the same, but the studding will be held firmly enough for the rewind shaft to be pulled up, enabling the rewind knob to be re-attached and the back opened. On the other hand you may find they stock some small diameter set screws that are long enough for the job in hand.

Lambertckw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

alright so i followed Glenn's said, i used all my strength to pull it out but it s stuck in there! I dont feel any spring resistance i guess Brcamera was right.

i am about to break it with a hammer!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1064

Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you look down onto the tapped end of the rewind shaft, can you see the complete end of the shaft, ie the upper end appears completely circular? With the shaft canted over like that, it could be that the end is fouled up on something located above it. As Bill stated this shaft looks like it has received a clout. It is a long time since I worked on this model, but I think the shaft is inserted via the film chamber, ie the cassette fork is not removed and fitted after the shaft is pushed in from the top. Therefore if you cannot get the shaft pulled up by just wiggling the screw and pulling gently - forget the urban myth about professional cameras having stiff/tight shafts, they just had good latching systems - have you tried pushing the shaft down into the camera body? Make sure you go through the normal door opening procedure when you try to move the shaft inwards.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration