Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Recommendations for butane fuel solde... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Recommendations for butane fuel solder gun « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chrisb
Tinkerer
Username: Chrisb

Post Number: 34

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 05, 2013 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought Radio Shack's version of this some years back, and was generally satisfied. I thought the quality was somewhat lacking, though. I eventually fouled up the works using it in an application it wasn't designed for, so I'm looking to replace it.

There are many different brands out there, and wondered if any here in the forums have recommendations. I'm willing to spend a little extra for better quality or larger capacity, but don't want to go too far beyond $30.

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer
Username: Hi_country_flash

Post Number: 19

Posted on Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Blazer Torch is what I have used for years in both Camera work and to build model trains in brass. If you get one be sure to use Blazer fuel, it is triple refined , any other type will clog the orfices in short order. It will however exceed the $30 dollar limit mote like $50 -60 but worth it.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 268

Posted on Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harbor freight tool (online) has one and it is like the Radio Shack one. I think the price is under $10.

Chrisb
Tinkerer
Username: Chrisb

Post Number: 35

Posted on Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never heard of the blazer torch. I'll see what google tells me. What's your experience with Blazer fuel, in terms of availabiity? If I have to always mail order it, I probably won't be so enthusiastic.

Thanks for pointing out the Harbor Freight one, Finnegan. They are great for the bottom line.

Has anyone used the Bernz-O-Matic ones. They're priced similarly to most of the ones I've seen, but that doesn't always mean similar quality.

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer
Username: Hi_country_flash

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a link to blazer. The model I have (2 0f them actually) is the GB 2001. I think I got my first one in about 1980 and it still works fine and I use it A LOT.
Fuel used to be and still may be available from Snap-On tool trucks , I bought a case of 48 cans direct from Blazer about 30 years ago and still have 3 or 4 cans left and they still are useable today.

Richl
Tinkerer
Username: Richl

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Bernz-o-matic (2 years) and a Weller (25 years)both of them work fine. Weller is in the $100 range and the Bernz-o-matic is in the $25.00 range.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration