Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FD 50mm 1.8 assembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FD 50mm 1.8 assembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cutsman3
Tinkerer
Username: Cutsman3

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had experience with taking apart and reassembling old Canon FD lenses. I had to take apart the lens because the release button was stuck. I've fixed the button, but am having trouble putting everything back together because all of the pieces have moved around. Here is are some pictures of what I'm working with...http://imgur.com/a/xXqbq . I've tried to look up information online, but didn't have much luck. I know these lenses are cheap and easy to replace, but I'd like to fix this one. Is there anyone out there that can help?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1057

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a number of on line sources for the FD repair manuals/notes. Reassembly of your bits is relatively simple - but you have to align the operating 'levers' in the rear section with the corresponding 'levers' in the lens barrel. Do this by moving 'levers' on rear section with fingers whilst holding rear section over the barrel. When these 'levers' interface one has to rotate the rear section so that it will fully drop into the barrel and sit on the rear face of the mount piece on rear of barrel. In doing the rotation the aperture will open to the 'off the body' open position. Start by aligning the U shaped socket with the upwards standing aperture operating lever. It helps to fully understand just what each 'lever' on the mount actually does and use another FD lens to actually see where the rear section actually aligns when it is in assembled position. You are not looking at rotating the rear bit by very much.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration