Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Summicron 50mm Type 5 - Cleaning? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Summicron 50mm Type 5 - Cleaning? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Soundsk
Tinkerer
Username: Soundsk

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 08, 2013 - 02:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Yesterday I brought home a Leica M6 with a Summicron 50mm Type 5 (built-in hood). It's my first Leica camera and lens. Both seem to have had little use, they are in very good cosmetic condition, little wear...

When I got home last night, upon close inspection of the lens under a lamp, I noticed something I hadn't seen before buying. On the edge of the front element, when light was hitting at a very specific angle, one could see marks or stains, can't quite describe it, around most of the edge, almost like it was lubricant.

At first I thought it was on the outside, and I cleaned it, but it remained, that's when I realized it was on the inside of the front element.

I couldn't resist the temptation, and tried to unscrew the ring with the lens description. It unscrewed, so I carried on exploring... Undid a retaining ring after that, and the front group came out. Another ring on the back of the front group, unscrewed that, and the front group divided in two, and you can reach the back of the front element.
So I cleaned the back of the front element, with standard lens cleaning fluid, and it appears to have worked, the lens seems perfectly clean with no marks whatsoever.

Reassembled it with caution and it's on the camera, which is halfway through the first roll... Still haven't bought the adapters for my digital cameras.

After I did it, doubt started to creep in... Could that have been some kind of coating on the inside of the front element? Could I have removed it just by cleaning?
The only time I saw coating damage was in an old Mamiya TLR lens, the coating was kind of peeling off around the edges, but it looked different, it had an edge to it, and kind of chipped off.
In the Leica it wasn't like that, it looked stained, smudged almost, no edge to it.

Does anyone know if this lens has any coating on the inside of the front element that is sensitive enough to damage by cleaning like this?

It seemed to me that the front-side of the back element from this front group indeed was coated, but I did not touch that, as it was clean and perfect.

Any insights are appreciated... Thank you very much!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1060

Posted on Monday, April 08, 2013 - 04:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will not damage the 'HARD' coating on post war Leitz lenses by normal/careful cleaning techniques. Completely different picture with older prewar optics - be very wary here. The crud you saw around the inside outer edges of the front element was basically moisture that had penetrated the lens over the years and then dried. This happens for a number of reasons, swamping the lens with cleaning fluid when being a bit enthusiastic with the fluid application, condensation when moving the camera between extremes of temperature or even rain drops. Unfortunately the front elements are not sealed for water tightness, no need to, so on older optics this is very common.

Just go out and enjoy the camera and lens, with reasonably regular servicing they will certain outlast you! I expect my 18 month old grand daughter to be using my Leica gear when I am long gone.

Soundsk
Tinkerer
Username: Soundsk

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, April 08, 2013 - 05:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you!
Glad to know that's the case, what a relief...

Looking forward to processing the first roll from it... Hopefully the first of many!

Thanks again!

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 102

Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, it's the 1950's soft-coated Leica lenses one needs to worry about cleaning the coating off. Like a Collapsible Summicron (LTM or M). Your Type 5 is definitely hard-coated. Worry not about that. Do be sure that it's focusing accurately, if you didn't seat the element just right, the focal length could be "off".

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration