Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leicaflex SL meter question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Leicaflex SL meter question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hotswank
Tinkerer
Username: Hotswank

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 08, 2013 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you open the back and flip the SL upsidedown, you will see a very small 'sliding door' next to the rewind fork and behind it there is what looks like a pot of some kind but you can't turn it, only pushed up and down as far as I can tell. Does anybody know what this is and why it's accessible to adjust what?

If I take a picture in portrait mode turned CW, the needle suggests +2 stops faster and if turned CCW, it says -1 stop slower.

Similar behavior is thru when checking the battery and looking down or up and/or combination of landscape or portrait mode...

Any thoughts why the needle doesn't stay level? Thanks in advance!

I've looked for a free SL service manual to no avail.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1061

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 08, 2013 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The simplest answer would be the aging of the springs that control the rotation of the needle and coil. I cannot give you a definitive answer, but do know that all Leitz meters were subjected to very careful counter balancing before being assembled into the body. All meters of this type and size are subject to the rigors of use. Be warned - meter mechanical repair is not easy and soon leads to crap exposures if one does not know what one is doing.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration