Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina 1B front lens removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Retina 1B front lens removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Silversurfer
Tinkerer
Username: Silversurfer

Post Number: 41

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Folks, I have inherited a later model 1B retina (with F. no. around top of the rim) It was locking up after each exposure,freed by pressing film release button alongside shutter button each time. (counter was not at 1!)
But also, the shutter blade don't move, just a tiny click. I would like to remove the front lens to access the shutter blades to try to carfully flood clean them. The front/first element can be removed by unscrewing the lock ring but there is another lens in the outer assembly.I think I must remove this aluminium mount completly, but it feels tight to unscrew? it has a tiny bayonet mount for, I think an auxilary lens (it is not the later interchangable lens).Any ideas, I do not feel competent to strip out the whole shutter/timing mech.to remove the blades for a proper clean.

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 69

Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To open the shutter on a Retina IB you first remove the front lens group. This is bayoneted into the front of the shutter and prevented from turning by a thin metal spring. You must lift this spring slightly with the tip of a screwdriver to allow you to rotate the lens.
With the lens removed you can see a retainer ring in the centre. You must remove the single black screw that prevents the retainer rotating, unscrew the retainer ring and then you may lift off the lens mount, shutter-speed, and aperture dials.
Regards,Chris

Silversurfer
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris, thanks for that. I did check your wonderful new web pages, but the upmarket 11c/C was highlighed, with the fully removable lens.The 'fixed' Xenon lens on the 1B seemed different.I did see the tiny spring clip alongside the lens rim blocking rotation, but not wanting to force anything I thought it prudent to ask the experts, got THE expert replying!
I noted your archive comments on this forum, re.checking/setting the tiny release button that is also locking the shutter, think I have 2 probs. shutter blades now stuck 1/8 open not allowing wind on cycle to operate, will have a go tomorrow! many thanks Ted

Silversurfer
Tinkerer

Post Number: 43

Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris, previously, I was trying to push the clip inwards, it needed to be lifted slightly and pulled outwards, lens then came off OK!
Just one point, does the film release button/double exp. lock have to be pressed in every time to enable the rapid film winder to be advanced? seems a bit of a faff to have to do this for each exposure? OR do I need to adjust the screw under the shutter button ?(with top removed)
Ted

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 70

Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Ted,

No, a photographer would soon get pissed-off if they had to press the film release button after each exposure. That sort of thing went out of vogue in the thirties.

The adjustment must be well-out. The film advance should be freed-up at the same point in the shutter release button travel as the shutter is fired in an ideal world.

The existence of the film release button serves as a sort of 'emergency release' if for some reason the shutter release button doesn't release the film advance interlock, or if the shutter isn't actually cocked because it is faulty.

If the shutter isn't cocked, then the shutter release button is blocked from moving.

Regards, Chris

Silversurfer
Tinkerer

Post Number: 44

Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris, thanks for that, I downloaded instructions from Mike Buctus site but the info. seemed to suggest the button was a sort of safety lock? to prevent double or wasted exposures? Some sort of Kodak belt and braces? I remember I had a Welti 35mm that had a nightmare of little levers to prime, in order to fire the shutter!
Now I know it is out of adjustment I will have a go at resetting it, I recall it was mentioned in an archive post? regards Ted

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration